Trouble acquiring TFN

sonrivera

Hi, I hear the easiest way to get a TFN is online. I did the whole process but at the end of it all, it said, "Your details indicate that you are eligible for a TFN but you have not yet arrived in Australia. Please wait until you arrive in Australia before applying for a TFN." Anyone know what I can do? I just arrived in AUS yesterday and need a job asap. Also, what is the best site to look for jobs? And also, what is the best site for local buy/sell ads? I'm currently in Sydney. Waterloo to be exact. Not sure about the districts/areas here. Can anyone fill me in on all this? :)

EDIT: I've tried gumtree.com for job searching. Not sure which district I should be searching under though. Would like to work close to home (Waterloo)

You don't need a TFN to start a job. After starting a new job, if you've applied for a TFN, you have 28 days in which to actually provide it and during that time, your employer is obliged to deduct tax at the standard rate. Do the application again - you'll get the TFN within a couple of weeks. When you start the job, tick the box on the TFN Declaration form to say that you have applied for a TFN then when you get it, do another form with the number.

EDIT: I've tried gumtree.com for job searching. Not sure which district I should be searching under though. Would like to work close to home (Waterloo)

You can specify Waterloo, then the radius from there you are prepared to consider ...+2 km, +5 km, +10 km etc.

Archived