Any Software Developer Out There

Boldie

I was just wondering if there are any software developers on these boards and are working in Oz at the moment.

I am a senior software developer (mainly .net) and I am justtrying to find out what the job market is like at the moment and what theaverage salary is. I have looked on theOz job sites including indeed and there seems to be plenty of jobs but not many of them advertise the salary.

Me and the family are hoping on moving over next year (I’vejust submitted my skills assessment with the ACS) and I’m hoping on getting a salary of about 100k a year, do you think this is realistic?

We will be looking at moving to either Sydney or Melbourne as this seems to be where most software jobs are.

Thanks for your help in advance.

There is an IT field sticky thread, so you may get more responses by posting on there. I was in Perth and returned a year ago so my finger is no longer on the pulse but I would say that's an optimistic salary for a new migrant. $80-90k would be more realistic (you might push $100k including Super).

Obviously it depends on your level/experience but on the whole you won't earn London level salaries as Australia is a very attractive destination for Indian migrants who often have Australian compny experience through off-shore companies and local experience is seen as desirable.

I have looked through the IT Field Sticky thread, not many developers on there, I also postedon there I while back but didn't get much response.

I'm from the North West so don't get London level salary now so would be expecting a bit better then what I do get. I have been working as a software developer for about 10 years and I am Microsoft certified.

I am just trying to get a feel for things out there from other developers who might be or have been in the a similar situation.

Have a look at this http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Country=Australia/Salary

Just be aware that as a migrant you will be at the very bottom end of the range.

Will be? Or might be?

It all depends on how good your experience and skills are, and how good you are at selling yourself. I'm in a similar boat to OP (hoping to get over there next year looking for a similar salary). Don't be the fool who just takes the first job on offer with a crap salary. Look around for a bit, go to many interviews, and take the best one that you get offered.

Don't be the fool who just takes the first job on offer with a crap salary. Look around for a bit, go to many interviews, and take the best one that you get offered.

And bring lots of cash to support yourself during this initial phase.

The squeeze is on for developers, I'm afraid. The IT industry is it's own worst enemy. They complain about jobs being off-shored and the effects on local salaries. Employers react to this (whether the underlying premise is true or not) and seem to think they can reduce salaries. Of course, there are many facets and skill sets in development, and if an employer needs a specific set and you have it, hey presto. After all, you only need one job. But make no mistake, things are tougher than 5 years ago, in general.

Will be? Or might be?

It all depends on how good your experience and skills are, and how good you are at selling yourself. I'm in a similar boat to OP (hoping to get over there next year looking for a similar salary). Don't be the fool who just takes the first job on offer with a crap salary. Look around for a bit, go to many interviews, and take the best one that you get offered.

Might be :)

The challenge is it is very much 'who you know' and as a new migrant you know no-one. Personally I did take the first job I was offered and you could argue that was foolish but I'd say it's more foolish missing the opportunity to gain local experience. The difference between earning $80k and $100k is lost if you're out of work for 3 months.

Your first job doesn't have to be the one you stay in and in any case once your greatness is recognised you move up. I started on $76k (2008), within 9 months I was on $90+, within 2 years I was on $120k plus company car etc. all without moving company I then did move and when I left Australia in 2013 I was on over $200k

I recruited a lot of people, both in Australia and from the UK (at least 3 from this forum!) and people almost always over estimated their worth in the market. Much better to expect $80k and get $100k than vice versa :)

• 1 month later...

The challenge is it is very much 'who you know' and as a new migrant you know no-one. Personally I did take the first job I was offered and you could argue that was foolish but I'd say it's more foolish missing the opportunity to gain local experience. The difference between earning $80k and $100k is lost if you're out of work for 3 months.

Your first job doesn't have to be the one you stay in and in any case once your greatness is recognised you move up. I started on $76k (2008), within 9 months I was on $90+, within 2 years I was on $120k plus company car etc. all without moving company I then did move and when I left Australia in 2013 I was on over $200k

I recruited a lot of people, both in Australia and from the UK (at least 3 from this forum!) and people almost always over estimated their worth in the market. Much better to expect $80k and get $100k than vice versa :)

Which industry are/were you in?

Salaries vary from state to state, so I can only comment on what I've seen in Victoria. I'm a Senior Software Developer living in Melbourne. I keep an eye on the market and believe that for decent .NET skills you would be able to land a job with a salary between $100 & $115k.

There are some roles offering more for (niche?) in-demand skills; for example, there is a dearth of good Ruby developers in Melbourne at present and I'm seeing those advertised at $120k. If you move to Melbourne then I would strongly suggest that you go to the monthly ALT.NET meetup held in the CBD. There is a good chance that you will find work there through networking (I did).

Will be? Or might be?

Things are very definitely much tougher than a few years ago. I had a very difficult time trying to find a new position as a developer and when I finally found one I had to accept a much lower salary than my previous position. But I am particularly poor at selling myself. Assuming you are good in interviews you may have an easier time and secure a salary between $80k to $100k.

During my time in the wilderness I frequented an IT message board. The impression I got from there is that the IT job market in both the US and UK are in much better shape than here in Australia.

I'm not sure what the rules are about posting links to other message boards so I wont, but if anyone wants it please send me a message.

Which industry are/were you in?

IT - I started as a coordinator in a software development team and moved on to Senior IT manager.

I'm back in the UK now though & money was a small factor, I came back to a higher rate here so in relative terms much better off.

I'm a .NET developer .. rates are from $70 to $90.

Less if you go permi, more if you are good.

Check out the Robert Walters Salary Checker app.

Confused is that an hourly rate? Or annual in Ks?

• 4 weeks later...

I started contracting here last year (similar position - Senior Developer / .NET) and quickly accepted a role at $400pd ($104k pa). From what I see, that's at the lower end of the scale but I just came from backpacking for 6 months so was happy with it.

Plus, living frugally gave me a nice bit of savings.

Right now I'm looking for another contract as I reached my 6 month WHV limit with that company and I am currently 'in limbo' on a bridging visa which I am finding is putting a lot of people off the roles that are there. And what I have been told is that 'not much happens in January' with people on holidays, etc. Hoping that picks up soon.

One thing that I noticed is that if you are going through a recruitment for contracting and going through their own 'umbrella company' then the rate is normally inclusive of super. The umbrella company option normally attracts a 3%-ish fee.

Good luck (to both of us! Hah)

You did really well LR. I've been working in IT in Perth for 23 years and don't know anyone on $200k and a company car. That's a fantastic deal, especially if you weren't FIFO. All depends on your experience of course and .net experience is handy. It's not exactly teeming with jobs at the moment and I reckon even $80k would be a decent salary to start off.

Confused is that an hourly rate? Or annual in Ks?

Bibbs must be quoting an hourly rate between $70 and $90 I reckon LR. Sounds about right for a contractor. I've often thought I would earn a lot more contracting but I've been with the same company for a long time now and like the long service and annual leave I've accrued. I like the job and people I work with too, which is sometimes better than being well paid.

Archived