176 visa renewal query

DisillusionedScot

Hi guys, just a quick question. I've got a 176 visa (permanent resident) but the visa itself will be due for renewal in a while (not until July 2016 actually). I came in as the spouse of my now ex partner. Can I renew the visa? If so how do I do it? Will I be man-handled onto the first available flight back to the UK?

I'd really rather stay if I can.

Also, my passport is due for renewal, what happens with the visa itself i.e. will I need to show both the new passport and the old one containing the visa?

Many thanks in advance.

Alan

Yes, as QSS says your right to remain is indefinite, it's only your right to return if you leave that expires after 5 years. A rip off as far as I can see, just a way of exhorting more money from migrants, most people opt for citizenship instead.

Visa labels are no longer required although for a while you could take your new passport in and have one attached - I think you still can but they charge for it now. No harm in carrying both passports or even a photocopy of your visa though.

Unless you have travel plans you don't need to renew your passport.

PS I have got your second assignment but I'm away on a course myself - finishes today so I'll get back to you soon!