Moving from UK year 12. Where do I fit in.

notfromaroundhere

I'm moving from England to to Australia in December.

I'm 16 years old and 17 in January and have done the first few months of my year 12 AS level course here.

School starts in Australia in February apparently so I was wondering whether I'd be restarting year 12 or starting in year 11 as I'm lead to believe that in Australia it's year 11 you start your final qualifications before university.

If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

I'm moving from England to to Australia in December.

I'm 16 years old and 17 in January and have done the first few months of my year 12 AS level course here.

School starts in Australia in February apparently so I was wondering whether I'd be restarting year 12 or starting in year 11 as I'm lead to believe that in Australia it's year 11 you start your final qualifications before university.

If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

Hi! The Australian education system is very different from the UK equivalent. It also varies depending on which state you are in? Where are you moving too??

If I understand correctly you complete your A Levels in years 12&13?? The Aus GCSE equivalent is year 10 and A level equivalent is year 12. So you would be starting year 11.

Do you attend colledge now? I completed my HSC (Higher School Certificate) in NSW at TAFE which is like colledge, you are treated more like an adult than at school so you may want to consider this also.

Also in NSW Maths and English are compulsory.

Happy to answer any questions you have :)

My son has just joined a school in Queensland. He turned 17 in September, so would've been starting UK Year 12. After seeing a couple of schools, it was decided that he would do October - November in Oz Year 11 and then just do Year 12 from January. He can claim credit for his GCSEs towards his final result here.

For Qld, it will depend on the school you are looking to attend and also how good your GCSEs were.

Is there the slightest chance you could stay and finish Alevels? Board with family perhaps? If you're hoping to go to Uni it keeps all your options open for Uni in either UK or Aus and A levels travel well to Aus with lower A level grades generally being required for equivalent courses. If you don't do the whole 2 yr course in Aus but rely on conversions you run the risk of being disadvantaged by the conversion and ending up with a lower score than you may otherwise have got.

Kids of your age in all states would be nearly at the end of year 11 so if you start yr 11 in Feb you will be a year older than your cohort. You could do yrs11/12 at TAFE but depending on your visa that could cost you a lot.

Id be having a serious chat with your parents about keeping all your options open.

Archived