Going to Aus from the UK for a one week recce in Sydney !!

chenzo

I live and work in the Hills so can give good advice on those suburbs, I know Silverwater well it's basically an Industrial area on the Parramatta river near Olympic park.

Newington is alright but basically shoeboxes with crap parking and facilities, Carlingford, Dundas and Northmead are better options and very close by.

'The Hills' ie. Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill etc is probably about 30min (maybe 45 in rush hour), it's a great place to live and you will find it probably more homely than the likes of Parramatta.

Do your home work as first impressions can either make or break when making a family move like this, if you pick a crap area family will feel like a fish out of water and you might not feel as if you made the right move.

Silverwater, Surrounding areas, Hills etc are easily accessible by car, rent yourself a car and GPS and have a good look around.

That is exactly the kind of advice im looking for , thanks Joebloggs

Before i moved here my friend in perth said if you want to know what an area is like visit the shopping malls at the weekend to see what sort of people are there! I thought this a little odd (also not realising how many shopping centres there are here), but he was right. Having been here a few months and been to rouse hill and castle towers (both lovely), i then had the misfortune of going to Westfield in blacktown on a Saturday and it all became very clear what he meant! ;0)

Before i moved here my friend in perth said if you want to know what an area is like visit the shopping malls at the weekend to see what sort of people are there! I thought this a little odd (also not realising how many shopping centres there are here), but he was right. Having been here a few months and been to rouse hill and castle towers (both lovely), i then had the misfortune of going to Westfield in blacktown on a Saturday and it all became very clear what he meant! ;0)

Yeah now you know why it's called Blacktown.

• 2 weeks later...
Strewth ..im here now until fri had a tiny weenie look at castle hill ... I dont think I have even scratched the surface ... does any one have a postcode I can look up on sat nav while im here ? ;-)

Postcode for where?

I live and work in Castle Hill, PM me and I can give you tips or directions to whatever you are looking for.

I don't know postcodes, but if that's the kind of area you're looking at try Beaumont hills, kellyville, northmead, bella vista, baulkham hills, seven hills, quakers hill, stanhope, the ponds. :0)

Hi cathy

Well ...... I think that is the area I like ..but I really do not know what its like .. I would like a nice place for the 3 of us ( 1 child ) for between 450 /600 $ pw with good transport links .. I only have tomorrow to have a quick look around .

Thanks

Just got back to the UK !! before I left I managed to have a look around Kellyville , the Ponds and Rousehill shopping town.. very impressed with those areas , time ran out to look around everywhere but at least I now have a much better idea than I had by just looking at them from the Internet .. .. thankyou @Joebloggs and @ cathy99 for pointing me in the right direction :-)

Just got back to the UK !! before I left I managed to have a look around Kellyville , the Ponds and Rousehill shopping town.. very impressed with those areas , time ran out to look around everywhere but at least I now have a much better idea than I had by just looking at them from the Internet .. .. thankyou @Joebloggs and @ cathy99 for pointing me in the right direction :-)

Good to hear, have a look on http://www.realestate.com.au/rent an have a look at the houses in your price range. Now you sort of know the rough geography of the area you can do more research.

Good to hear, have a look on http://www.realestate.com.au/rent an have a look at the houses in your price range. Now you sort of know the rough geography of the area you can do more research.

Joebloggs , the chat I had with you on the thurs was invaluable, cheers [emoji6] I literally bumped into a conveyancer in kellyville ridge, who was watering their lawn ,when I got out of the car for a walk around by pure luck , lol .. she reccomended the area highly and said it was booming and to use the site you have linked above . She mentiond something about "community schemes" which sounds like a good idea for a new family arriving in Aus , as I guess you would get to know your neighbours quicker and possibly settle In to Aus life faster ? .. it seems a bit hit and miss trying to find them though [emoji3]

• 3 months later...
Joebloggs , the chat I had with you on the thurs was invaluable, cheers [emoji6] I literally bumped into a conveyancer in kellyville ridge, who was watering their lawn ,when I got out of the car for a walk around by pure luck , lol .. she reccomended the area highly and said it was booming and to use the site you have linked above . She mentiond something about "community schemes" which sounds like a good idea for a new family arriving in Aus , as I guess you would get to know your neighbours quicker and possibly settle In to Aus life faster ? .. it seems a bit hit and miss trying to find them though [emoji3]

The area is sometimes known as the Bible belt of Sydney and it has a great community spirit, Castle Towers is set to the be the largest Shopping centre in NSW.

Edited by CaptainC
Removed external links as per forum rules

Thanks a million for all your help mate . I cannot thank you enough [emoji106] . I ended up turning the job down in the end [emoji53] Ive explained why in the thread " offered a job in Aus "

Edited by chenzo