Scott Morrison told it was illegal

Guest The Pom Queen

We have been absolutely honest in what we will do.

And we have done it.

I for one can live with that (even though I may not agree) - it's the total disregard of international law and ANY compassion that I do have a major issue with. By all means make laws that make it difficult for people to get here however do it with a regard for human decency and do it within international law.

NWM

Which International law have they broken ?

I accept it still has to be proven in a court of law but when the United nations, Red cross, Amnesty International all condemn the actions of Scott Morrison I kind of feel that he is on thin ice. He is ignoring his own departments legal advice and is now having to introduce new laws to try and get around international laws that he is flouting - It is obvious to anyone with a conscience that the guy has zero regard for anything (and anyone) accept to be able to say he is being tough on Asylum seekers - what a big man that makes him, picking on the most desperate in society. As I have said - fine, be tough if you feel you have to, but the way he is treating children and woman (and men) is a blight on our country and I believe history will prove that.

NWM

A senior United Nations official has criticised Australia's asylum seeker policy, saying it has lead to a "chain of human rights violations".

The incoming UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Jordan's Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein, singled out human rights violations in Syria, Iraq and Gaza in his first speech to the UN Human Rights Council in Switzerland.

But he also went out of his way to criticise Australian policies of offshore processing and turning back the boats.

"Australia's policy of offshore processing for asylum seekers arriving by sea, and its interception and turning back of vessels, is leading to a chain of human rights violations, including arbitrary detention and possible torture following return to home countries," he said.

Mr Hussein said he did not support mandatory detention of asylum seekers in any country, including Australia.

"I must emphasise that the detention of asylum seekers and migrants should only be applied as a last resort, in exceptional circumstances, for the shortest possible duration and according to procedural safeguards," he said.

He warned Australia's policy of turning back the boats could lead to resettling migrants in countries not equipped to deal with them.

I believe it, but will people thinking of paying for an illegal passage to Australia believe it too?

I don't know - what I do know is that if I was in their position I would do ANYTHING to remain alive and protect my family. By all means process people, send them 'home', don't let them set foot in Australia etc but while you do have them, when they have managed to get into the country then at least treat them like humans and with dignity. There are ways of proving you are being tough on protecting the borders without de-humanising the most vulnerable.

NWM

Not to mention the first paragraph in the link PQ put above:

Scott Morrison ignored his department’s advice that it was illegal for him to refuse permanent visas for boat arrivals found to be refugees, and defied warnings from bureaucrats that the move would be challenged in the high court and he would lose.

The minister for immigration personally ordered protection visa numbers be capped for 2014 – to avoid granting permanent protection to any boat arrivals – before his action was ruled unlawful by the full bench of the high court.

NWM

I don't think any of this is Ïnternational Law as you put it.

Human rights violations are international law - but don't get so het up on it, you obviously approve of what he is allowing on his watch and I don't but then again I guess you're not dealing with the fall out of his actions on a daily basis as I am. Just this week I am dealing with an asylum seeker who has been here for 5 yrs with our processing - a grown man in floods of years who hasn't seen his 8yr old son in that time, who can't work, who hasn't been given any date for processing, who has had to change his name due to intimidation from Iranian government henchmen who are over here to try to get details of those over here so they can intimidate the families back in Iran. I've also spent time with our federal MP who is in despair at what's happening - not just with Scott Morrison (as she is the opposition) but with the WHOLE politics of what is going on.

NWM

Archived