How Long From 457 - PR??

ROO101

Hi there just a quick question.

How long does it take for PR to granted if you are being sponsored by the company you work for. We have 457's that are due to run out in January and have submitted everything and are currently waiting for a date for our medicals.

Will they push it through if our visas are going to expire??

many thanks in advance.

If you haven't lodged the visa application yet, it will probably not be granted by January but once you apply for a new onshore visa, you will be granted a Bridging visa that will allow you to stay in Australia working for your 457 employer, until a decision is reached on your permanent visa application.

From your earlier post you indicated that you have lived back in the UK for the past year and your partner has been here, I would double check (for your own peace of mind) with a migration agent as to whether you will need to be in the country as I am not sure you can be granted a bridging visa if you are not even in Australia.

That's what I wondered. I was going to come back in January but I don't think I would be let in on a bridging visa even if I did get one!

A migration agent would be able to give you a definitive answer on that one, they would be able to suggest an alternative (if needed).

Sorry, I didn't realise that you are currently overseas.

You can only get a Bridging visa if you apply for an onshore visa i.e. you must be in Australia when you lodge the application. If you lodge onshore and get a BV, it will probably be a Bridging visa A which has no right of re-entry to Australia.

If you want to go overseas while on a BVA, you must get a Bridging visa B or you will not be allowed back into the country. If you get any BV other than a BVA, you will not be able to leave Australia at all as only BVA holders are eligible for a BVB which is the only BV with re-entry rights.

Archived