457 to 820/801 visa - electronic or paper? Expedite 801?

Becstar

Hi there

One of my friends was asking me about whether to file for her 820/801 via paper or electronically. Does anyone have any experience of this? She has been married to an Australian for just over a year and they have been living together for more than two years (he was in the army prior to that).

Does anyone have any views as to whether a paper or electronic application will result in a quicker grant - or is it just the same?

Is there a way to get 801 granted without waiting the two years? E.g. where there is plenty of evidence that the relationship has been ongoing for a significant period prior to the application?

I think timing for processing is the same whether paper or online. From what I've seen posted, online is much easier and preferred by applicants (can continue to upload evidence as needed, don't need to certify documents if they're colour scans, etc.)

The 801 will be granted if they have evidence of a de facto/married relationship for at least 3 years prior to application, or 2+ years if they have a child. Otherwise, they will get the 820 and can submit the 801 paperwork 2 years after the 820 application was submitted.

Archived