Tax Return submitted late?

ekf

Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight for me.

I arrived in Sept 13. I filled out the p85 form and sent it to HMRC to close off my UK tax affairs earlier this year. In June they wrote to me and asked for my P11d, which I had to obtain from my previous employer and I sent to to HMRC in Aug. I am still waiting to hear from them in regarding to any tax due back to me, etc. but I now have to do my Australian tax return by the end of this month.

My question is do I need to wait to hear back from HMRc before I can do the Aussie one?

if I simply wait until I do and are late submitting my Aussie return what are the penalties, etc?

has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what did you do?

many thanks.

Thanks Blossom. I have the complication of being paid some money from my UK employer after I arrived in Australia. I left the UK while I was on my notice period so received some salary and annual leaving owing for a couple of months after arriving. So in that case I think I need to have the UK side sorted as I will need to declare the portion of UK income received whilst in Australia on my Australian tax return?

Is this correct?

Go and see a tax agent, like H & R Block - to do your ATO return. What you do in the UK and what you do in Australia are separate, though you may have to declare some of your UK income on your Aussie return. There is a double taxation agreement between the two nations so you don't pay tax twice.

Come to think of it, I doubt some of the above applies when you are in your first year here, as it's only part years. You'll be resident in one or other country but not both.

If the Aus government owes you money then you won't be penalised for filing your tax return late. If you owe them money then you will be penalised. I don't know how much I'm afraid, I've only ever filed late when I've been confident I'm owed money.

If you use an accountant the October deadline does not apply, you have till May I think Accountant said.. 2015

Thanks, yeah I might have to do this.

Thanks Cez, might crunch the numbers to see if it's looks like I'm going to be in a refund position!

Hang on, did you arrive in September this year? In that case are you sure you need to do an Australian tax return as it would cover July 2013 - July 2014, when you weren't here...?

No I arrived in September 2013. Sorry my original post is confusing!

Archived