Employment Opportunities with an Honours Degree in Psychology

MrsA

Hi everyone

my husband and I are hoping to come to Melbourne in early April 2015. Our visa is granted. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas if there woukd be some relevant work opportunities for me with a 2-1 BSc Honours Degree in Psychology. I wondered if anyone had a similar qualification and was able to gain some worn within this field in Australia or would I need to study additional qualifications over there.

Im obviously keen to start at the bottom and work my way up however it was just to see if there were any opportunities with this qualification in this field.

Many thanks

andrea

You're going to struggle to work as a psych! Read the regulations for registration at AHPRA website - they're pretty draconian even for well qualified clinicians. Even when you have your masters or doctorate you will have to find a role that will give intense supervision for some time. Psychologists are 10 a penny in Aus and without registration you aren't going to get much. Masters and PhD are going to cost you a lot.

Many Aussie kids do psych at Uni but most pick something else as a career option

As Quoll says you are not going to be able to work as a psychologist, what aspect of psychology are you interested in? I did a degree in Psychology and ended up via an OU course in Artificial Intelligence and Mechatronics working in IT. There are lots and lots of jobs where psychology is relevant so give us a bit more to go on. If you were to work as a psychologist what type of psychologist would you be? Clinical? Occupational? Cognitive? Educational?

Archived