Visa Condition 8501

emj1986

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me. We got granted our Visa (457) in Oct 2013. My partner first entered Australia in Feb 2014 and was working 2 months Australia one month back in the UK.

A condition of the Visa states 8501 - MAINTAIN HEALTH INSURANCE. He didn't start the private Health insurance we used to get the Visa as we found out UK have a Reciprocal health agreement with Australia.

We ended up selling the property and both moving out perm in September 2014. We are now getting the medicare card sorted without Private insurance as the Reciprocal health care satisfies the 8501.

My question is will this still be an issue when we apply for PR as my partner was not registered with medicare.

I couldn't because I was not in the country..

Also as a side question as I didn't enter the country until September but my partner did in Feb. When it comes to the 2 years before we can apply for PR would that be when the visa was granted (Oct 2013) when my partner arrived first time (Feb 2014) or when we both arrived (Sept 2014)??

Thanks

EMJ

Ok so you only need to wait two years to apply for PR if you want to do the transition route from the 457 to a 186 or 187 employer sponsored visa. Either of these visas can be applied for now if you can meet the requirements by direct stream. You can also apply via a general skilled visa for PR at any time if you meet the requirements.

if you want to go down the transition route or don't meet the other requirements then the main visa holder needs to be actually working in the sponsored job for two years before applying.

the 457 is a temporary visa, if you plan on staying ( and moving your life here, as you seem to be). Then apply for PR ASAP there is no guarantee of staying otherwise and if the job is lost for whatever reason you have 90 days to apply for another visa or leave.

medicare is up to you, you do not have to have it, but might want to look into it anyway. It will have no effect on a future visa.

Your partner was still eligible for Medicare even if he wasn't registered. I had periods of not being registered as Medicare kept issuing me 2 month cards while I was on a bridging visa for 18 months. They didn't even ask about it when I got to applying for pr.

Your partner was still eligible for Medicare even if he wasn't registered. I had periods of not being registered as Medicare kept issuing me 2 month cards while I was on a bridging visa for 18 months. They didn't even ask about it when I got to applying for pr.

Perfect this is exactly What I needed to know. We will be applying for PR early as Rammygirl suggested but wanted to be sure the Medicare and 8501 condition would not cause problems.

We will both be medicare registered by the end of the week.

Thanks

EMJ

Archived