House or Apartment....

Swamps

Hi,

I'm looking at a move to Melbourne with my wife and have been considering a central apartment rather than a house in the Suburbs. A few friends have warned me off due to noise issues they experienced in their apartment (they broke the lease 6 months in to get out due to noise), but the central location really appeals.

Just wondered if anyone else had a central apartment and could give their experiences.

Thanks.

Guest The Pom Queen

I think it all depends on what you want. If you have children then I would recommend the suburbs. If not, and you like going out wining and dining then I think the city is a good choice.

We have had the same dilemma, we decided that we would live centrally in an apartment to start with (probably managed, some do 3-6-12 month leases plus many have access to pools and gyms) mainly because we would like to 'use' the city a lot in our initial year. Once we know where we would like to live we would probably move to a house in the burbs.

We are considering this in Adelaide there are nice townhouses in the CBD as well as apartments with the additional benefit of a secure garage rather than underground parking. We need space for bikes and cars so this is important. however you do get nice views from apartments! Having lived for the past few decades in a detached house we are a bit worried about noise though. Building standards do vary and I'm guessing that more recent builds have better thermal properties.

we are in our 50s with just one son left at home ( hopefully not for much longer as he needs to fly the nest soon!) and want to be near theatres, restaurants events etc. Do not want to retire to the country or burbs, great when we had little kids but now we want to be in the action more we don't need baby sitters and have the cash to do more.

Seems to be a trend now for oldies so the city is not just full of young singles and couples any more.

Archived