Does my daughter have an entitlement to Australian citizenship or PR?

Wanderer Returns

Hi, I'm a Pom who became an Australian citizen in 2007 and presently reside in Australia.

My daughter who is single, 22 and without dependent children has just expressed an interest in coming to live and work in Australia. She is currently in full-time employment in the UK.

Apart from a working-holiday visa (which I've suggested to her should be the first step), what avenues are open to her if she wanted to make a move here on a more permanent basis?

I've had a look at immi.gov.au but can't find a particular visa that would cover her situation, but I assume I could sponsor her in some way?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

Martin.

She has no entitlement to citizenship or PR and she isn't eligible for any other kind of visa unless she qualifies for skilled immigration in the same way as anyone else. It's unfortunate that she wasn't included on your original permanent visa while she was still a minor.

She is an adult who is not a full time student or unable to work and is therefore not eligible for a Child visa.

The only other type of family sponsored visa is a provisional 489 visa but for that, she must have qualifications in an occupation on the SOL, a positive skills assessment in that occupation, a score of at least 60 points on the points test AND, you must live in a 'designated area' (not Brisbane, Sydney, Wollongong or Newcastle). TBH, if she's eligible for that, she could probably get a permanent 189 visa without sponsorship - all she would get for the sponsorship would be 10 points on the points test.

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Might there be a route via the Remaining Relative visa?

Not if her mother is still alive or if she has any siblings, step parents or step siblings who are not permanently resident in Australia. Also, even if she's eligible to apply, the estimated waiting time for a RR visa is something like 56 years. If she applies in Australia, she could get as Bridging visa that would enable her to stay indefinitely, but it won't have work rights unless she's able to prove financial hardship. If she manages to get work rights, she'll find it more difficult to find a good job on a BV - employers don't understand them.

Archived