Electric bill

fingers456

Sounds like a completely different set up altogether.. I've heard of the "open house" viewings for sales, but didn't realise they do the same for rentals.. Another eye opener.. Got it all to come in a month or two.. Thanks.. :)

They sure do, I personally found getting a second rental more stressful than the first, probably as we had to get somewhere by a set date. But we were staying first time round with relatives so no money was being spent and no deadline to leave, ( except for my sanity leaving me !)

Hope it all goes well.

you can look for a house that is energy efficient here but i'm afraid you'll always be looking, it's a very rare thing.

there are many houses all look great from the outside but look a little closer and you'll find little to no insulation, single glazing with holes to the outside to let the morning condensation drain to the outside (yes there is a country in the world that still glaze 95% of it's current builds this way!) unskirted slabs that draw the outside temperature inside.... hell i could go on all day. suffice to say if you want a different temp from outside for more than a couple of minutes, get ready to pay..... or build your own and import the good stuff. :)

you can look for a house that is energy efficient here but i'm afraid you'll always be looking, it's a very rare thing.

there are many houses all look great from the outside but look a little closer and you'll find little to no insulation, single glazing with holes to the outside to let the morning condensation drain to the outside (yes there is a country in the world that still glaze 95% of it's current builds this way!) unskirted slabs that draw the outside temperature inside.... hell i could go on all day. suffice to say if you want a different temp from outside for more than a couple of minutes, get ready to pay..... or build your own and import the good stuff. :)

I suppose it's the same the world over with rentals. People buy them to get a good %age of rental yield, not to provide good quality affordable housing. You wouldn't necessarily spend lots of money on a house to make sure that your tenants electricity bills were cheap. Functional is the norm.. :chatterbox: If you manage to get a new build, they might be constructed from newer more efficient materials, but don't expect gold taps.. :wink:

• 5 months later...
They, supply the obvious stuff, if it has air con, pool, solar power( not many rentals do that I have seen).

In my experience, It's not really possible when renting to look as closely as you would like ( certainly if you wanted to stick your head in the loft I think it would be frowned on )as viewings are generally only for 15 mins with other people, you could ask about insulation, but I would be doubtful a rental agent would know. OH went for a viewing when we were recently looking when over 30 people turned up at once. I have found the rental market here to be a different kettle of fish to the UK, far more people looking to rent and lots of competition. So really you can note if something does look old, therefore possibly inefficient, but if this is the only house you've found that suits you, and you have a deadline these things can you out of the window.

I don't know if it is a requirement to have the air con unit serviced regularly.

We rent our house in the UK and as far as I know we don't have to have our boiler serviced once a year, we do this as we get it done with the fax safety certificate at the same time.

If there's something you need to know about the property, you should not be worried about something being frowned upon. You'll potentially be entering into a contract to pay thousands of dollars over many months.

The agent/landlord do their duedil on you by checking references, if you can afford to pay, etc. You should do your own duedil and make any checks to feel necessary.

Archived