NYE Alternatives to Sydney

Uprawr

I'm currently in Cairns, looking to head down the east coast soon but still deciding on my final destination for NYE. Sydney is still an option for me but it's so cliche and crazy expensive so I'd like to explore other options on the east coast. I'm sure there's a party to find everywhere but if anyone has experience of anywhere special or if there's anything interesting going on I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

I'm sure there are other places in Australia to find a good New Year's party, but what are you looking for exactly? Just a good party to have a good night out, or something special like what Sydney offers? You have to ask yourself that. I did the NYE in New York a few years ago, and I'm doing Sydney this NYE no question about it.

I've celebrated the New Year twice in Sydney - it's the best place to see the New Year in! The first time I stayed in a Harbourside hotel which was very expensive (the price literally triples on New Years Eve) and I also paid to attend a New Years Eve themed party at the Opera Bar which is just across the harbour from the bridge so you get a really fab view of the fireworks. Can't remember how much the ticket was but I seem to remember it was in excess of $150, but worth it as the party was fab! So all in all, it was very expensive.....but that's how I wanted to see the New Year in.

The second year I celebrated NYE in Sydney, I was staying at a friends house, so saved on hotel prices and had a picnic in Hyde Park in the early evening (also free, apart from buying the food and drink etc) then walked down to the Harbourside later in the evening to grab a space to watch the fireworks on the bridge. Both times were just as enjoyable as each other so whether you make it expensive or cheap, you'll still be in for a good time!

As as for crowds, well yes, there's no way around it, there will be massive crowds around various viewing points around the harbour. I don't like big crowds but didn't have any problems in Sydney on NYE. Everyone's so friendly and so happy and I must say, Sydney really knows how to put on a party! I felt completely safe and the organisation of buses in the early hours to get back home was amazing!

Whatever you do, or wherever you spend NYE it'll be great!

If you have not booked your accomodation in Sydney for the Xmas/New Year week, then you have probably left it too late, unless you hire a camper van and stay (illegally) at somewhere like Clovelly beach.

In any case, if you think it is a 'cliche' then why bother coming!? Trying to have a good time anywhere on NYE is probably a clice! Just find a hostel wherever you happen to be and there will probably be a party of some sort going on

Archived