Need info on a Child Visa!

Alan331

Hi, I'm over 18 years old and I’m due to apply for a Child Visa(802) in about 1 year. For now, I’m in Australia on a Student Visa and sponsored by my parents. My parents have fully sponsored me since I arrived in Australia. They paid for my tuition fees and have provided me with a place to live. But I don't want to burden my parents. I'd like to get a job to lighten their burden. I'm wondering if I can have a casual job right now. Because I heard that a Child Visa requires me to be "financially" dependent on my parent when I apply for the visa. I’d like some advice. Can you tell me if I can work for the period immediately preceding applying for a Child Visa?

Either you are on a student visa or you are sponsored by your parents. You can't be both (unless you are dependent on one of your parents student visa). What visas are your parents on? Presumably you are restricted to 20 hours a week work anyway?

It's a bit of a grey area depending on what visa the parents have been on.

Why are you waiting a year?

Thanks for the replies.

- My stepmother is an Australian citizen and my dad is on a PR visa. My dad is going to be my "sponsor" on the application.

- The reason I'm on a Student Visa is that my dad was not on a PR visa when I was born.

- I asked my parents and they said we need to show the department that I have relied on their "financial" support for a substantial period(usually 12 months).

Archived