189 visa, getting married at short notice - help please

Donn Donowitz

Hello people...

Need help urgently...I am not sure whether this is the right place or not....so sorry in advance...

I have applied for Skilled Migration Visa 189 on 14-July-2014 (all docs frontloaded) & going by the recent threads July gang has started receiving their grants...I know I should be really happy about it...but I am in deep trouble as I am getting married next month end (it waz a sudden decision) and I checked 309 visa timelines which are huge...hence please advice a way out as I want to travel to Melbourne coming Feb & preferably with my wife...

Thanks !

FWIW, you can lodge an on shore partner visa application. It costs a bit more and takes a little longer (off shore is 10-14 months and on shore was running at about 13 months last I heard). On shore partner visa applications come with work rights when on the bridging visa awaiting a decision.

Hello people...

Need help urgently...I am not sure whether this is the right place or not....so sorry in advance...

I have applied for Skilled Migration Visa 189 on 14-July-2014 (all docs frontloaded) & going by the recent threads July gang has started receiving their grants...I know I should be really happy about it...but I am in deep trouble as I am getting married next month end (it waz a sudden decision) and I checked 309 visa timelines which are huge...hence please advice a way out as I want to travel to Melbourne coming Feb & preferably with my wife...

Thanks !

If you wed before a visa is granted you must inform the DIBP. If you wed after a visa is granted but before it is activated you could be in serious trouble. You might not breach your entry conditions (depending on the conditions imposed) but the way you are proceeding you will very likely breach section 104.

At a minimum, I'd immediately upload a completed form 1022 to notify them that your marital status is Engaged (assuming you said single in your application?). However, I think you'd be wiser to speak with a migration agent to get guidance on how to proceed before your visa is granted/you get married.

Archived