Moving From Melbourne to the UK

Kms1972

It looks like we will he moving back to the UK at the end of the calendar year.

can anyone recommend a shipping company. We will only be moving clothes, books etc as the furniture isn't ours. We have accumulated a fair bit but nothing like a house move.

any useful checklists on what to do before we go.

thanks for any help you can give

Hi,

I too am heading back to London from Melbourne and will be shipping my goods in December. The best company I could find seems to be King and Wilson (particularly if you are just shipping boxes).

David

can anyone recommend a shipping company. We will only be moving clothes, books etc as the furniture isn't ours. We have accumulated a fair bit but nothing like a house move.

Just in time for Christmas. Keep us updated all the best, any reasons why the move back?

Do you mean me @verticalbrit? We came to Brisbane for a four year adventure and accidentally stayed for 11! The main reason we are moving back is because our parents are in ill health and we want our children (and us) to spend some quality time with them before it's too late. But it's also about missing UK culture to be honest. We have been very happy here but it's time to go back, we didn't really purposely 'emigrate' as many PIO did.

Neither of us are from Leeds but the Leeds/York area appeals as it is close (but not too close!) to family in Newcastle and Manchester and we like Yorkshire. Plus I like the idea of having a new adventure rather than trying to return to an old life.

Do you think you will move back?

Why are so many people leaving Melbourne? Is it the economic climate or home sickness?

It might possibly be that Melbourne is a bit over-hyped! :D (Cue hate mail from Melbournians and that bloke who writes the world's most livable cities column (with Melbourne #1) every year). Melbourne is a lovely city but now hellishly expensive to live anywhere in the lovely part and the weather is unpleasantly capricious. Sydney is superior in most respects, except the even more exorbitant price tag. I spent 6 months in Melbourne when i first arrived in Oz (mainly due to a love interest), a year in Sydney, 7 years in Brisbane and the last 3 years in Cairns. In my (very humble) opinion, Brisbane was the best experience and I'd still be there now if it wasn't for work having taken me to Cairns. Whenever I visit Brisbane (and we did yesterday to submit my wife's visa application) I feel like I am 'coming home', whereas Melbourne and Sydney are just another big city(s).

As coincidence would have it, we are also planning to move back to UK in December to take care of an aging parent, although at this stage my wife and I see a return to the lucky country in our future plans. We are using http://www.discountfreight.com.au/ to send back three tea chests for about $300, which seems a pretty good deal. We are just going to either sell or give away the rest of our stuff, not that we really have too much.

Spangley - I'd say it's a mixture. It's not Melbourne. if you are going to live anywhere, it's about the best place to be. May not be as hot a Sydney (tho 44C is Feb/Mar is pretty insane) but the four seasons are great and Melbourne has easily as vibrant a life as Sydney for less cost.

Isolation from european/uk familiarity and lack of culture feature high. Definitely many europeans get quite bored here, after the novelty of going to the beach again and again and again and again wears off.

Spangley - I'd say it's a mixture. It's not Melbourne. if you are going to live anywhere, it's about the best place to be. May not be as hot a Sydney (tho 44C is Feb/Mar is pretty insane) but the four seasons are great and Melbourne has easily as vibrant a life as Sydney for less cost.

Isolation from european/uk familiarity and lack of culture feature high. Definitely many europeans get quite bored here, after the novelty of going to the beach again and again and again and again wears off.

I mostly agree with you. Although as Australian cities go the culture-factor is quite high. I don't think its so much a case of getting bored here, as even with two of us working its still quite expensive to do lots of things, particularly with children. The UK bonus of having Europe so close for holidays, etc. is hard to replace.

Archived