457 to 189 when offshore

expat457

Hi guys,

I have just been granted a 189 visa while still having 457 and being offshore. Vevo says that it's status is in effect, however I've heard that I need to enter Australia in order to have 457 deactivated in favour of 189. Can anyone shed some light on this please? I'm asking as I'm aiming to apply for a citizenship and don't know whether 1 year as a PR starts counting from now...

Thanks

I expect VEVO is just wrong, it often is. If you have been granted a 189 then your PR starts on the day it was granted.

Well, the thing is that it says "In effect" which would mean that it's started. In concern to what you've just said, can I trust it that my visa is actually activated?

Well, the thing is that it says "In effect" which would mean that it's started. In concern to what you've just said, can I trust it that my visa is actually activated?

Yes but VEVO is notoriously unreliable. My OH didn't have a visa at all apparently, although has managed to get citizenship recently.

You are PR from the day your visa was granted, yes you would need to validate the visa.

Presumably as a 457 visa holder you are only offshore for a short holiday anyway?

Yes but VEVO is notoriously unreliable. My OH didn't have a visa at all apparently, although has managed to get citizenship recently.

You are PR from the day your visa was granted, yes you would need to validate the visa.

Presumably as a 457 visa holder you are only offshore for a short holiday anyway?

I've already read that 1 year as a PR ( towards citizenship ) starts counting since arrival to Australia ( when granted offshore ).

I'm on an unpaid leave and it's already 3 months since I left the country.

I've already read that 1 year as a PR ( towards citizenship ) starts counting since arrival to Australia ( when granted offshore ).

I'm on an unpaid leave and it's already 3 months since I left the country.

Well you need to get back quick smart then, I believe only 90 days absence is allowed before the 457 is invalidated? Would suggest you take some professional advice.

Sorry I didn't understand your first sentence, could you reword it? Was it a question?

Archived