Got off a plane 5 years ago

theonetruechris

OK, so long(er) answer. At the start for me It was a very hard slog going from a steady job of 16 years to being out of work & being a house husband trying to settle my son in. We were on 457 with only my wife working & it was really eating into the savings. We got her work to sponsor us for PR & all of a sudden my CV's were being answered & interviews offered. Once the job was sorted dark clouds lifted & happy-ish days ensued, all thoughts of going back were put to the back of my mind. I would have to say though I'm the type of person where I need to know I have an out, and in for me its the thought that i could back to Blighty (at no point in the future would I envisage doing so but doesn't stop me wondering....)

As for the positive stuff, We have citizernship so they can't kick us out & New Zealands now an option if we need to try somewhere different. We spend a lot of time doing family stuff & we tend do something every weekend to the point my son moans about wanting to have a day on the couch. I can't say I've made any lasting friends apart from a couple of expats but casual acquaintances made through Auskick, footy etc. allow you to have contact with people outside of work. So for me B+ (and its better than the alternative which was work was going to send me to Bristol)

Guest Guest 47403
OK, so long(er) answer. At the start for me It was a very hard slog going from a steady job of 16 years to being out of work & being a house husband trying to settle my son in. We were on 457 with only my wife working & it was really eating into the savings. We got her work to sponsor us for PR & all of a sudden my CV's were being answered & interviews offered. Once the job was sorted dark clouds lifted & happy-ish days ensued, all thoughts of going back were put to the back of my mind. I would have to say though I'm the type of person where I need to know I have an out, and in for me its the thought that i could back to Blighty (at no point in the future would I envisage doing so but doesn't stop me wondering....)

As for the positive stuff, We have citizernship so they can't kick us out & New Zealands now an option if we need to try somewhere different. We spend a lot of time doing family stuff & we tend do something every weekend to the point my son moans about wanting to have a day on the couch. I can't say I've made any lasting friends apart from a couple of expats but casual acquaintances made through Auskick, footy etc. allow you to have contact with people outside of work. So for me B+ (and its better than the alternative which was work was going to send me to Bristol)

good for you for not throwing in the towel early on when it was tough. As you mention you now have the choice should you wish to move on in the future New Zealand being an option.

Archived