Securing rental

missshelly

We didn't need to do this but I would suggest if you have 6 months rent in advance you can go down the traditional route of letting agents/estate agents. You should not have to pay a fee for their service although I believe in areas of shortage this is becoming common practice (illegal in Scotland)

Be cautious about using small local agents, there is virtually no regulation of letting agents - make sure they are a member of ARLA at least http://www.arla.co.uk

Two I can recommend are 'Your Move' and Belvoir and they cover most areas.

Zoopla is my favourite portal and most properties for rent through agents will be on there.

I wouldn't try to find somewhere from Australia other than making appointments for your first week back, if you don't have friends or family to stay with then get a holiday rental like most people moving the other way do. I find Airbnb the best option - some are commercial holiday lets but most are people just renting out property they don't need all the time - they often have there personal things around so you need to be okay with that but they are usually a lot cheaper.

It is worth taking out a free 30 day trial of Experian when you get back to check your credit rating - we'd been away for 5 years and ours was surprisingly good, once we registered on the electoral role it was excellent and we got a mortgage no problem.

Hi @MissShelley

this is an email I received from a letting agent when I enquired about renting - I had explained we were returning to the UK after a long time in Australia etc.

"When we rent a property out to a potential tenant, they have to provide proof of address (ie a utility bill), proof of ID, a work reference and a landlord reference (if they are currently renting), if none or any of these can be provided they would need a guarantor who would need to provide all of the above. Or the other option is to pay 6 months upfront."

Hope that helps!

We have recently been through this issue.

In our case, instead of paying 6 months upfront or having to ask somebody to be a guarantor, we were able to prove that we could support ourselves without income help for the length of the lease. Not sure how the calculation works, as the number was given to the letting agent by the referencing company, but for £1200 PCM rent, they wanted to see savings of 21k to avoid the need for upfront payment or a guarantor