moving to queensland

leigh674

Moving my young family to Queensland just waiting for our visa to come through, I am a hotel manager a was wondering if anybody knew the best places to live with a young family and job opportunities in hotel management

Certainly along the coast, for access to hotels. I live in Cairns, and we have a 4 year old and a 22 month old. We love the tropics and the lifestyle. The other major concentration of hotels would be the Gold Coast. A very different climate (still very nice though) and a major concentration of hotels. Personally, I prefer the far north lifestyle.

Hi Leigh

As the others say there a high concentrations of hotels in all these places Cairns in the north, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane in the south east corner to name a few. Obviously at some point you will need to consider schooling as well - you will find the best performing of these in Brisbane. Another consideration will be whether or not you like the hub hub of a city or prefer a more relaxed pace of living. The Gold Coast is quite busy with a lot of high rises in the main beach area. Brisbane is a city but not quite as busy as some of the other big cities like Melbourne and Sydney (more of a large town feel). The Sunshine Coast feels like it has seen less development as limits were placed on the level of high rises and therefore to me feels more laid back. I have only been up to Cairns once so won't comment on that other than it is a tourist hotspot and a gateway to the great barrier reef so has lots of hotels - others on here would know much more about how it feels to live there.

Climate may be a consideration for you also with Cairns being tropical and the others being sub tropical you get lower temperatures and less rain in the South East Corner. I hope it all goes well :)

One of my favourite places in QLD is Currumundi which is a fabulous place if you can get near to the lake. It is quiet but close to Caloundra. Seems pretty reasonable to rent/buy too. Fishing, boating - not much else but I get there when I can. Would be lovely if u had young kids I reckon.

Obviously to start recommending areas with any real certainty some type of needs assessment would be in order to assess your likes and dislikes, budget and how important particular features are to you. But in lieu of that I would say that to be within a reasonable commute of the bigger tourist centres on the sunshine coast and assuming you want to be near the sea. I would say a number of the suburbs along the beach between Maroochydore and Caloundra which are a little busier - maybe Kawana, Buddina (around there somewhere) or further up in Mudjimba would be quieter. If you don't want to be so close to the sea then there are options inland like Buderim which has a nice elevation to look over towards the coast. As I said to be more specific I would need more info - hope that helps. Go to realestate.com.au or http://www.domain.com.au/ for rental costs.

Archived