Staying together in australia

Aussie00

Hi all

please forgive me if this has been asked ten times over... But I need some advice! My partner and I first met nearly two years ago in Australia. I am the Australian and he is from the UK. We've rekindled our relationship at the beginning of the year with a few holidays together in between and want to cement it as something more permanent. Ideally, we would like to settle in Australia, but when he first came he was already on a working holiday visa.

What other options do we have in terms of being together? Is he somehow able to move to Australia on a different visa? Just looking for the best options available at the moment..... We aren't sure where to start.

I have my career here in Australia so it's not so easy packing up everything and just moving to the UK. Obviously we are VERY open to all suggestions. We have discussed Defacto/prospective marriage visas also but from reading other posts it's looking like a very lengthy wait (provided it's even granted)

The less time spent apart the better :)

thanks in advance!

If his occupation is not on the skilled occupation list (that process would take over a year anyway) and he is unlikely to be offered employment from a firm willing to to sponsor him your best bet is with a partner visa. However this requires you to have lived together for a year.

Your situation sounds very similar to that of a friends brother (English) and her partner (Aussie). They met while he was in Sydney on a WHV and decided their only option was for her to get a WHV for the UK (they give two years), live together for that time, then they were able to get a partner visa. Sure it's not ideal to temporarily leave the life and career you have built for yourself there but if you really want to be together a couple of years working abroad should be an easy sacrifice. My friends moved to London (his family were from somewhere else) which was probably a great idea, it was an adventure for the both of them and it will have been much more fun for her than being stuck in some small town with all his family and friends. This also depends on you being under 31 to be eligible for the WHV of course.

Hi all

please forgive me if this has been asked ten times over... But I need some advice! My partner and I first met nearly two years ago in Australia. I am the Australian and he is from the UK. We've rekindled our relationship at the beginning of the year with a few holidays together in between and want to cement it as something more permanent. Ideally, we would like to settle in Australia, but when he first came he was already on a working holiday visa.

What other options do we have in terms of being together? Is he somehow able to move to Australia on a different visa? Just looking for the best options available at the moment..... We aren't sure where to start.

I have my career here in Australia so it's not so easy packing up everything and just moving to the UK. Obviously we are VERY open to all suggestions. We have discussed Defacto/prospective marriage visas also but from reading other posts it's looking like a very lengthy wait (provided it's even granted)

The less time spent apart the better :)

thanks in advance!

Some things in life have to be waited for, this is probably one of them. Regarding partner related visas, I think only the PMV would be an option for you at the moment and the wait was about 10 months last I heard. If you want something quicker, then your partner needs to look into work related visas I think, do you know if he is in an occupation on the SOL?

I had my career in Australia, quit my job, moved out of my house and to London to be with my partner in order to build up the nesessary evidence. Unfortunately it's not immigrations job to provide visas that enable us to develop relationships (don't mean for that to sound harsh!).

From what I can see you have a few options:

1. PMV - currently taking 10-14 months from London. Has to be applied for offshore and your partner would have to be offshore at time of grant. This visa is perfectly suited for couples in your situation if your happy to marry. If your partner doesn't mind not working - he could look to apply for a tourist visa whilst the PMV is being process so that the two of you can stay together, he could then make a quick trip to Bali or NZ to activate the visa once ready.

2. Your partner qualifies for a skilled work visa in his own right

3. Bloody expensive student visa

4. Move to the UK

Archived