My experience of 7 years in Australia

lechatnoir

This is an interesting point fish, and it took me a while to realise that 'fitting in' (in the sense of 'fit in or fk off' as espoused on here by a majority of waussies) doesn't mean you have to adopt eye wateringly right wing views, watch mind numbingly banal TV shows or develop an uber parochial (fk UnAustralia, especially 'illegals!') mindset.

No, not at all. There are many versions of 'Australian'. Just like not everyone in Britain is a UKIP voter!

Yes, I think the benefit of being raised in Australia is that you realise there are many Australian personas with a significant chunk of people in each. You also know where to find each group; their history, worth and place in the country; and have many contacts with the people who suit you best. Just like living in the UK you often tend to view the identity of the country through the prism of your own group, and know how to avoid the ones you don't wish to spend much time with.

Observing on here for a long while I see people who in my mind clearly don't have the same groupings of Australia in their head as I do and it must be isolating to think that your group doesn't exist in significant numbers, even if it does. Though some undoubtedly is, I don't think all disconnect is actual cultural difference, more just not knowing the different cultural opportunities and identities available under the banner of being Australian. Of course your home countries media sets in your mind what an Australian is before you come as well so if the types you meet where you live and work, or tv personalities, reinforce that stereotype it must be hard to broaden it. Looking at the narrowing tabloid media in Australia it is not surprising either.

What a well written and useful post thanks. Given your balanced view would be interested to know what the 'liveable' single wage was when u moved to Brissie as my family's income will be fixed due to employment type (ADF) when we arr there in 2015. 120k AUD with three preschool kids?

Guess it's who you know. I know of quite a few people who found the job market too unfavourable and saw it as an opportunity to go back to the UK. I don't think they were making a decision based on UKIP or current politics.

Not only Brit's returning but other nationalities as well from Asia. I think in part the job market and the unfavourable reception in many cases to overseas qualifications in the sense of the roles offered, but also it's all too hard now, with high costs, long hours at work, along with more exciting lifestyles elsewhere.