Becoming pregnant on a temporary de facto visa (subclass 309)

Guest Sdavis654

Guest Sdavis654

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to see if anyone else has been in the same boat or if anyone has more of an idea on this than I do (which isn't a lot!).

I'm living in Melbourne on a de facto visa (lodged offshore) and in June next year, I have to submit more evidence in order for me to become a permenant resident.

However, at the moment, my partner and I are thinking of starting a family together. Nothing has happened as of yet but I just wanted to find out if it is something that is possible on the visa? Am i covered for all my medical checks? Would I receive any of the government funding? has anyone else done this and what was the outcome? would it speed up/slow down the second part of the visa if this was to happen before June next year??

I'm just trying to get a general idea on this....

thanks

Sandra

You would be entitled to Medicare, but paid parental leave I don't think you would be.

The main issue is probably if you need a medical to get pr. I'm not sure on that one.

If not then I'd try to plan your pregnancy (as far as you can) so that you give birth once you have pr. Youll be entitled to ppl then too.

Good luck.

You're already entitled to Medicare on the 309, by the way, if by some chance you didn't know that and don't have it. You don't need another medical when your 801 reassessment rolls around, fortunately. They say they CAN ask for it again, but I haven't actually seen anyone asked for it. Perhaps people who had to go through the Health Waiver process? I'd love to know if any of them had to. My understanding is it's just if you had a Health Undertaking when you came over (for example, people who had TB have to go through certain treatment processes before they come over and after they arrive).

Guest Sdavis654

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help and info. Yes, I do have medicare so I'm not too worried about having to worry about medical costs, it would be more along the lines of government funding and financial help that I would like to know if I would be entitled to anything like that or not.

I'll definitely check-out centrelink and ask them about it. I'm sure my contract for work states about my rights in maternity leave, would this be ok?

Archived