Can you pls recommend Sydney area with "proper" houses?

Fishenka

Hi all, so we (myself, hubby, 2yo son and a mini schnauzer) have moved to Sydney from London a week ago with suitcases full of shorts and flip flops :laugh:

Staying in a very nice flat and looking for a long term rental. I was focusing on areas and schools and amenities when choosing where to look but what I didn't expect is the quality of the houses ...:mask:

Don't want to sound rude but all the houses are just beach shacks... Even for crazy money they are just massive beach shacks....

hubby by will be working in North Ryde, I most likely in CBD and we are looking for a modern 3bedroom townhouse/semi/ unit with a small garden, patio in a family friendly area. And we really struggle to find that.

Can someone please recommend recently developed areas or maybe newly developed areas in old suburbs that fit the above criteria please? We are already considering apartments and an indoor toilet for the dog :(((

thank you

To be honest I do not know what you are talking about. Yes there are some beach houses in some suburbs, the ones near the beaches mainly, but a lot of brick houses around too. Maybe you should spend a few more weekends just driving around and looking until you are more familiar with the style of houses available, which is indeed very different to the UK.

3bedroom townhouses with a small garden, patio and a family friendly area will be available all over greater Sydney. There is absolutely nothing in that to help narrow down your search. How about cost, that would narrow things down almost immediately. And do you have any idea where you want to live?

Did you not know it is winter in Australia? :wink:

I was being sarcastic when talking about beach shacks ;) what I mean is that the majority of the houses look old or they look ok from the outside but have old single glazing, weird granny electric fireplaces, cardboard walls etc. even the renovated once look like a granny has just passed away and relatives just repainted the walls and maybe did the flooring. So I ideally would like to find houses built in the last 20 or so yeas as there is hope in a bit more modern style and features. I rarely do come across houses like that but they get snapped up same day and all I get from real estate agents is sorry... Our budget is $850pwk

p.s. Bbc was showing +19-20C and sun in Sydney for weeks before we came and that's a sunbathing weather in the uk if you remember :)

example of what I am talking about

http://www.domain.com.au/ore/Public/Gallery/Photo.aspx?adid=9220329&pic=4&mode=Rent&AgencyID=12666&st=1

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/allambie-heights/?adid=7384563&sp=18

I was being sarcastic when talking about beach shacks ;) what I mean is that the majority of the houses look old or they look ok from the outside but have old single glazing, weird granny electric fireplaces, cardboard walls etc. even the renovated once look like a granny has just passed away and relatives just repainted the walls and maybe did the flooring. So I ideally would like to find houses built in the last 20 or so yeas as there is hope in a bit more modern style and features. I rarely do come across houses like that but they get snapped up same day and all I get from real estate agents is sorry... Our budget is $850pwk

p.s. Bbc was showing +19-20C and sun in Sydney for weeks before we came and that's a sunbathing weather in the uk if you remember :)

You will also soon forget that 20 degrees is sunbathing weather. And when the temperature dips below 20, well ... some of my colleagues roll into work dressed in what appear to be Arctic Survival Suits.

Ok I understand a little better what you mean now re houses. I don't need examples, I thought you were commenting on the exteriors and so was a bit puzzled. Yes there are a lot of avocado bathrooms, brown tiles and 70's electric fireplaces around in rentals, I think some landlords just don't bother keeping the house up to date, they don't need to, because there is always someone that will have it.

But I don't think this is something you will get around by choosing a particular area, you just have to do your homework on the sites and target the more attractive houses, they are there. Your budget of $850 is reasonable, not going to get you into the really good suburbs in Sydney, but it is perfectly reasonable. We started with a budget around this level five years ago and we were looking in north shore, Turramurra, Pymble etc, but it really didn't cut it in those areas. Would you consider a two bed? You would get a better quality house for your budget that way.

I really dont see anything wrong with either of those houses. May not be what you want but you are only renting for now. Barratt and Wimpy dont build here. Surely you had a look at accommodation that was available before you came? You will have to go well out of the city if you want a new build lego house.

I really dont see anything wrong with either of those houses. May not be what you want but you are only renting for now. Barratt and Wimpy dont build here. Surely you had a look at accommodation that was available before you came? You will have to go well out of the city if you want a new build lego house.

I am with OP on those houses to be honest. I am only renting, but I still want to live in a nice house that I will make into my home. I hate the way some people assume renters do not take pride in their home.

No,trouble is the budget and location are probably not aligned. These houses are on the northern beaches, not the best northern beach suburbs but northern beaches nevertheless and I think budget might need to be stretched a little. Well I think I shall do a little bit of research and se what I come up with.

Thx a lot for your advice Pumpkin! 2bed is what we need really but all those brothers with partners and grandparents are not going to be visiting for a week now... It may happen a few times a year so but I can't really keep in-laws on a couch I. The living room for a month for example... So 3rd bedroom is realistically needed a few times a year but this you would really need on e the visitors a here for a month on end.

what are the alternatives to the northern beaches burbs? I thought ff is far enough from the beach not to be considered a beach burb... Thx

Thx a lot for your advice Pumpkin! 2bed is what we need really but all those brothers with partners and grandparents are not going to be visiting for a week now... It may happen a few times a year so but I can't really keep in-laws on a couch I. The living room for a month for example... So 3rd bedroom is realistically needed a few times a year but this you would really need on e the visitors a here for a month on end.

what are the alternatives to the northern beaches burbs? I thought ff is far enough from the beach not to be considered a beach burb... Thx

It is indeed strange that Allambie Heights and French Forest would be classed as Northern Beaches, but they are. North shore is ok for your work places, I have posted a few options up, but the budget is still pinched on this one too.

We always thought that we should make sure we have room for visitors, but honestly don't get your house for visitors, get it for yourselves. Andvif you don't have room for visitors then they have to get a holiday home for a few weeks. And not being funny, but you might find you don't have as many visitors as you think you will anyway.

I have another idea for house options, which I will look at in a minute, I don't know quite as well as I know the northern beaches or north shore.

Place we own in the UK is 80 years old, full of character and has nothing to do with lego but its quality is nothing like those houses I posted so I am looking for a similar standard in rentals too. I rented in London for 7 years before buying and that's a very long time to live somewhere you hate with the excuse that you are only renting IMHO

Place we own in the UK is 80 years old, full of character and has nothing to do with lego but its quality is nothing like those houses I posted so I am looking for a similar standard in rentals too. I rented in London for 7 years before buying and that's a very long time to live somewhere you hate with the excuse that you are only renting IMHO

I have been renting since we moved here so over four years, in same house and I too would never have taken the attitude that it is only renting so it doesn't matter.

I didnt say it didnt matter, obviously you are not going to rent a tip. But sometimes when renting you need to take something that you wouldnt normally choose if you want to live in a particular area.

Right final few. Willoughby, Chatswood, Lane Cove all would be good for your work. I don't know these areas quite as well personally although have been through and look nice to me, I would definitely consider for myself. I do have colleagues living in each of these areas and my colleagues are all pretty senior executives and would only live in good suburbs. I ran the search on Chatswood.

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/willoughby/?adid=9188328&sp=4 - dodgy cooker again!

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/castle-cove/?adid=9206849&sp=19

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/middle-cove/?adid=9193214&sp=16 -- ugly outside though

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/willoughby/?adid=9210741&sp=15

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/chatswood/?adid=9102355&sp=6

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-rent/house/nsw/chatswood/?adid=9147719&sp=4 - only 2 bed though

You have to stop comparing property with what you had in UK for a start it gets much colder in the UK so the houses they build here do not have as much insulation or double glazing that you find in the UK.

As I keep on saying its different in Aus, very very different and if you are going to compare that way lays unhappiness. Its a different country and different life and lifestyle altogether. Australia has always had migrants the first lot were migrants and convicts and therefore the country has evolved in a different way.

Some of them are beach shacks but beach shacks are considered very liveable in the climate around Sydney and further north.

Town houses tend to be thrown up these days, not meant for the long haul, fall down in 20 years I expect.

Archived