Move date v near!!!

ClezS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I think thats right. With the changes in the budget we will sadly see increasing crime, but you cant spend your life worrying to much about it. It is all over the world, and Aus in general is a pretty safe place.

Well I am coming from New Zealand so If I can Handle the crap anyone can we have a lost sheep as national press :wink:

Soooo, moving away from pistol whipping for a sec  there's a question I have to ask...What's the spider and general weird bug situation like round GC?

Mozzies !!! anywhere along the coast especially near the mangroves. Use RID on your skin not to bad during the day but dusk is when they mainly come out, so wear light weight long sleeves and slacks if possible. Dont leave pots or such things lying around the yard with water in it as that is where they breed. Most councils spray for mozzies so that helps. Further North like Townsville and further North you can get some nasty illness from Mozzies like Ross River Fever, and Denge Fever. Also up there irrecangee jelly fish are an issue, as are Blue Ring jelly fish, or stone fish.

Red back spiders are around so again dont go digging around the garden or moving rocks or a wood pile until you have thick gardening gloves on. The pest man can spray around the home for all sorts of things.

Cockroaches and these can be the small German ones to "large" ones that fly in. Here having cockroaches does not mean you are not keeping the house clean they are just a part of life.

Brown snakes mainly in the bush so dont go walking around in long grass, if you are on a bush walk and see one "Stand still" and let it move on.

Ants "Bull Ants" now they bite and boy do they sting so again stay away. You cant miss them they are really quite large, there are also "green ants" small ants that can give a bit of a sting.

Flys yes well this is "Australia" LOL you learn to live with them. Fly screens on doors and windows and if you have a BBQ cover the food.

It really not so bad you do get use to it.

Mozzies !!! anywhere along the coast especially near the mangroves. Use RID on your skin not to bad during the day but dusk is when they mainly come out, so wear light weight long sleeves and slacks if possible. Dont leave pots or such things lying around the yard with water in it as that is where they breed. Most councils spray for mozzies so that helps. Further North like Townsville and further North you can get some nasty illness from Mozzies like Ross River Fever, and Denge Fever. Also up there irrecangee jelly fish are an issue, as are Blue Ring jelly fish, or stone fish.

Red back spiders are around so again dont go digging around the garden or moving rocks or a wood pile until you have thick gardening gloves on. The pest man can spray around the home for all sorts of things.

Cockroaches and these can be the small German ones to "large" ones that fly in. Here having cockroaches does not mean you are not keeping the house clean they are just a part of life.

Brown snakes mainly in the bush so dont go walking around in long grass, if you are on a bush walk and see one "Stand still" and let it move on.

Ants "Bull Ants" now they bite and boy do they sting so again stay away. You cant miss them they are really quite large, there are also "green ants" small ants that can give a bit of a sting.

Flys yes well this is "Australia" LOL you learn to live with them. Fly screens on doors and windows and if you have a BBQ cover the food.

It really not so bad you do get use to it.

Tina do you get sandflies in GC I have 18 bites from the little blighter and its not even summer yet I tell you they itch twice as much as mozzies, I think I have now finally become immune tyo the Mozzie bite but will never be immune from the noseeum sand fly buggers:mad:

Tina do you get sandflies in GC I have 18 bites from the little blighter and its not even summer yet I tell you they itch twice as much as mozzies, I think I have now finally become immune tyo the Mozzie bite but will never be immune from the noseeum sand fly buggers:mad:

Yep ! lots of Sandflys. Try getting an alovera plant, cut off one of the leaves (or what ever you call them ) and spread the sticky jelly on the bites, it really helps.

Yep ! lots of Sandflys. Try getting an alovera plant, cut off one of the leaves (or what ever you call them ) and spread the sticky jelly on the bites, it really helps.

Jeez I have a massive Aloe Vera plant in my garden never new that. I have been suffering for years, Boots own brand tropical repellent is awesome though, i get rellies to bring it over when they visit stops everything :wink:

Jeez I have a massive Aloe Vera plant in my garden never new that. I have been suffering for years, Boots own brand tropical repellent is awesome though, i get rellies to bring it over when they visit stops everything :wink:

That'll be the strong fighting english spirit!

Its good for minor burns aswell.

Ok, here's where we're at right now.

Complete sale of house on 15th Sept.

Crown removals booked for the 1st Sept.

flights booked for the 16th with Singapore Airlines,

arrive Brisbane 18th.

Temp accommodation in Biggera Waters for two weeks.

and ........... Husband just been formally offered a job.

It's been a good week and I might just get a full nights sleep tonight:smile:

I think this thread perfectly illustrates all that is great about POI. A handful of people never connected before all offering assistance as they arrive (including recent arrivals) to help one another. I can sense everyone's excitement simply knowing others are in the same but it is the potential for friendship that seems to excite the most.

arrive Brisbane 18th.

That sounds like clockwork. Hope it all goes to plan.

zk2102 good luck, hope it all goes really really well. We're not as organised as you but getting there. Hopefully see you on the other side.

Bora - Agreed I already feel better about the move knowing there are other people in the same situation and the potential to make some friends when eventually get there. ☺

zk2102 good luck, hope it all goes really really well. We're not as organised as you but getting there. Hopefully see you on the other side.

Bora - Agreed I already feel better about the move knowing there are other people in the same situation and the potential to make some friends when eventually get there. ☺

Thank you. Will be there with a chilled bottle ready to greet you :smile:. Dee xx

arrive Brisbane 18th.

Hi,

we stayed in bigerra waters when we arrived. Which apartments have you booked. Also if needing care hire we found car hire for $30 per day and he will come and collect you

and take you to car etc. He is quite near bigerra waters so let me know as we have his number. He's a lovely bloke from NZ and was real helpful. looks like everyone on here is getting ready for the big up and away. its only three months since we did it so I don't envy your anxiety but I am sure all will be fine. Just try and take it as it comes. we flew with Singapore airlines and couldn't fault them. They are very attentive. we were watching the border patrol programmes on tv before we left UK and were expecting a big stress at the airport. I filled all my declaration cards in and declared everything even down to the Monster Munch crisps that I brought over for a friend, expecting a big interrogation at brissie airport but to no avail. They didn't even check anything and just waved us through so that was when I relaxed and I guess that's when It hit me and I thought bugger me we've done it. We're in Australia. Really strange feeling after all the dreaming and planning and thinking you wont get there.

Hi,

we stayed in bigerra waters when we arrived. Which apartments have you booked. Also if needing care hire we found car hire for $30 per day and he will come and collect you

and take you to car etc. He is quite near bigerra waters so let me know as we have his number. He's a lovely bloke from NZ and was real helpful. looks like everyone on here is getting ready for the big up and away. its only three months since we did it so I don't envy your anxiety but I am sure all will be fine. Just try and take it as it comes. we flew with Singapore airlines and couldn't fault them. They are very attentive. we were watching the border patrol programmes on tv before we left UK and were expecting a big stress at the airport. I filled all my declaration cards in and declared everything even down to the Monster Munch crisps that I brought over for a friend, expecting a big interrogation at brissie airport but to no avail. They didn't even check anything and just waved us through so that was when I relaxed and I guess that's when It hit me and I thought bugger me we've done it. We're in Australia. Really strange feeling after all the dreaming and planning and thinking you wont get there.

Would be be grateful for the hire car details. We're booked in at Bayview apartments, was all I could get. Really reassuring knowing that you did it all just a few months before. Light at the end of the tunnel and all that :smile:

OH has just secured a job at Gold Coast Hospital so we also will be moving over end Sept/Oct. So all help greatly received especially on rentals at what to do. We are in NZ so can take our pets with us in the Cargo hold do not require quarantine, so not got the time to look around for rentals for too long as really don't want them thrown into Kennels at all really but if we do then not for too long.

HI,

we were in holiday accommodation and secured a rental within 10 days of being here. We came from UK and owned our property there so brought mortgage statements with us to show we hadn't defaulted on payments. we also provided proof that we had cash in the bank and we were accepted no problems. we didn't even have jobs when we arrived but the bank statements etc were enough to secure the property. we also had two dogs who were joining us and I think possibly because ours is an investors property they weren't overly interested about the dogs etc. . We left our details with local agents but also checked on realestate.com.au daily which is how we found our property. I guess what Tina said though is a good idea. Get the evidence about the dogs behaviour from previous landlord just in case. (unless you owned your own home of course). we have settled in Helensvale and it is suiting us fine. The boys love it and we are establishing social networks there. In fact possibly a few too many parties being attended of recent which is doing nothing for my much dreamed of bikini body. lol

I know the bay view apartments. They look really nice. its lovely at Biggerra waters. we found a good cafe there doing English breakfast with English tea right on the water. we are about ten mins away and often walk our dogs on the broadwater down there. If you're feeling energetic you can walk right down to surfers and beyond. OH sometimes runs down there and kids will follow on long boards. You couldn't do that In the UK..I'm actually feeling a little bit excited for you all. I'll get the number from OH for car rental as I think its in his wallet.

I know the bay view apartments. They look really nice. its lovely at Biggerra waters. we found a good cafe there doing English breakfast with English tea right on the water. we are about ten mins away and often walk our dogs on the broadwater down there. If you're feeling energetic you can walk right down to surfers and beyond. OH sometimes runs down there and kids will follow on long boards. You couldn't do that In the UK..I'm actually feeling a little bit excited for you all. I'll get the number from OH for car rental as I think its in his wallet.

Thats reassuring. It's all very exciting right now. My 18 year old is really into long boarding. We all love walking & outdoor pursuits so it's sounds like it'll suit us really well. I've been looking at the gated developments nearby, what are your thoughts on what streets to live in? It's the great unknown that worries me. The area we live in now supposedly had a bad reputation but was the best move we ever made!! aghhh, so much to think about, I need some sleep, lol!

ok. so let me tell you what I know.. Biggerra waters is lovely but not much going on. Kids would go to southport school from there. runaway bay is also lovely with shopping centre and tavern but not much else. There are also some gated places there which are very close to industrial areas on the outskirts so be careful for that; they could go to Helensvale school from there. Coomera school I hear has a bad reputation and I believe that pacific pines is also headed that way. I know from speaking to school staff at Helensvale that people are trying to get their kids moved from coomera schools etc to enrol at helensvale by going through the excellence programmes which are at helensvale school. This is the only way they could get into a school out of their catchment area. we settled for where we knew the kids would be able to easily access things. Where we live in Helensvale they can walk to skate park, rugby, tennis, swimming. we can walk to taverns and eating places so no need for taxis after the odd tipple. we have two shopping centres which we can walk to. doctors, dentist, pharmacys, butchers, pizza hut and loads more without using a car. And or course because the weather is usually lovely its nice to walk now and again. when we buy I am almost sure it will be in helensvale and we will look at the discovery drive or lindfield rd area. There are some fabulous brick houses mixed with queendlander types, loads of trees, parrots, swimming pools etc and not many uncared for houses (not that I've seen anyway) even kangaroos come out at dusk. helensvale school has just discovered a pair of koalas in their preservation area, how cool is that. Not sure about crime but haven't felt threatened or insecure in any way. there was an incident last week which was domestic violence related and three locals apprehended the guy until police came. we sometimes hear cars doing donuts at night but I know they do that in every area as friends here them too in other suburbs. let me know if you see an address or area and i'll go and check it out for you..

Archived