Health Insurance

Wwkelly

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I will be in Adelaide in Dec and would like to have some info on health insurance. I will be on visa 489. Whats the difference between medicare and private health insurance...the cost? and how to get started?

Thanks,

Chris

Medicare is like the Oz equivalent of the NHS. You register for it and get a card. When you use healthcare - GP or hospital you show the card. However, there are major differences to the NHS. The biggest being that some things are not free and you need to pay. For example, a GP might be what is known as a "bulk billing" doctor. This means your visit will be completely paid for by Medicare. However, these are increasingly hard to find. There are none in my area. So, when I go to the GP they get a payment from Medicare - about $32. Then I have to pay $35 from my own pocket on top.

Dental is not covered by Medicare. As a result it can be eye wateringly expensive - a check up is going to cost you $200+. So people take private health insurance to cover this.

Some other things vary by state. In WA ambulances are not covered by Medicare, so if you have an accident and an ambulance is called, then you will be charged about $700. So another thing that people cover with private health.

The federal government is keen for people to have private health cover and so have made the system to have negative tax implications if you don't.

so this means medical facility is not free in australia

and what do you mean by NHS and GP

does $32 is to be paid monthly or per visit

Some medical facilities are free. Some gp consultations are entirely covered by Medicare if the doctor wants to bill it that way. Generally you pay a fee for seeing a doctor, and you claim part of that back from Medicare.

NHS is the UK health service. GP is so general practitioner ; ie a doctor,

Gp consultation is paid per visit.

so this means medical facility is not free in australia

and what do you mean by NHS and GP

does $32 is to be paid monthly or per visit

Not, not every medical procedure and things are free. The majority are, but some aren't. For example, if you need to have a ultra sound scan, then you will probably have to pay. But, if you need most hospital treatment is will likely be free under Medicare. Medicare is the government funded healthcare. All permanent residents are entitled to Medicare. But, there are gaps in what it provides, so this is why people also have private health cover.

The NHS is the British version of government funded healthcare.

When you go to see a doctor (a GP), they receive a fee from the government for your visit via the Medicare system. Some doctors will regard this as the full payment for your visit and you don't need to pay or do anything except show your Medicare card. But, many doctors now charge the person as well a fee on top of what they get from the government. In which case, you are asked to pay this after the consultation.

Not, not every medical procedure and things are free. The majority are, but some aren't. For example, if you need to have a ultra sound scan, then you will probably have to pay. But, if you need most hospital treatment is will likely be free under Medicare. Medicare is the government funded healthcare. All permanent residents are entitled to Medicare. But, there are gaps in what it provides, so this is why people also have private health cover.

The NHS is the British version of government funded healthcare.

When you go to see a doctor (a GP), they receive a fee from the government for your visit via the Medicare system. Some doctors will regard this as the full payment for your visit and you don't need to pay or do anything except show your Medicare card. But, many doctors now charge the person as well a fee on top of what they get from the government. In which case, you are asked to pay this after the consultation.

w

so this means they can charge whatever they want????

• 2 weeks later...

Archived