question

Guest andy&marie

Guest andy&marie

hi can anyone help us, we are unmarried and have my oh 14 yr old son living with us, we have been together 3.5 yrs, would we have any problems starting the migration process. or will they only accept married couples? :? :? :?

No you do not have to be married, although you may have to prove that you have what is called a genuine and enduring defacto relationship - by showing proof of joint bankaccount/joint ownership of house/holidays together/statements from friends, etc etc.

One issue that might crop up is permission from the son's other parent (I'm assuming from your description of OH son that he is not your son too?) to take him abroad with you, if that is what you are planning to do.

I'm sure other people on here can offer more advice, but I would say it certainly not a lost cause and it would be worth looking into if it is something that you are interested in. Good luck!

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Andy and Marie

What you have is a defacto relationship which is accepted in Australia for migration (IF YOU CAN PROVE A DEFACTO). As an interesting point, an inderdependent relationship including same sex partnerships are also acceptable for visa's.

DIMA look at these applications closely, because they can be abused.

The trick is to prove the relationship is defacto, and there are various pieces of information that will be required.

Hope that helps

Hiya

You shouldnt have a problem as long as you have things,(bills etc) at the same adress ,we arent married yet (till next sat) and got a 136 skilled ind visa based on Gary's skills.We have 2 kids 2 and 7yr and have lived as a couple for 14 yrs.We didnt have to get statements off friends just a few household bills and statement off the visa applicant( Gary) verifying the relationship but they did ask for abit more ,so sent some piccys an a old mortgage statement and we had no problems after that .I personally thought the kids ages would alone of provided the evidence but i do read alot about their liking of photos ,, ,hope this is of help

Good Luck

Cal x

Archived