In a panic - not sold up in the UK yet - visa expires in Feb !!!

Tin Tacks

Hi,

Just joined forum. 1st attempt at anything like this.

I, my husband and kids (23 & 20) have resident return visas. We are self employed and haven't yet been able to sell our business. Our visas expire mid Feb. Our daughter is already in Melbourne and has be for 20 months. Our son hopes to go in October. We want to desperately as well.

Can anyone tell me how far in advance I need to be speaking to shipping companies.

Many thanks,

We gave just under a weeks notice, I think. We had originally booked flights for mid Jan, and had had quotes etc for shipping and had chosen who we wished to use, but hadn't booked them in as they said not to until things were confirmed. OH's visa application was delayed slightly, and was eventually submitted early in Feb. It was submitted on the Friday, and we had an email from our agent to tell us to get moving on our end with moving, so I confirmed the flights and the shipping people that day. The visa was granted on the Monday, the shippers were in on the Thursday and Friday and then we flew out on the following Monday. We were on a 457, so things did move pretty quickly towards the end.

I would think that providing you have had the quotes etc, and have decided on who you would like to use, you wouldn't need more than a week or two notice. You could phone and ask what they recommend too.

Hi,

Just joined forum. 1st attempt at anything like this.

I, my husband and kids (23 & 20) have resident return visas. We are self employed and haven't yet been able to sell our business. Our visas expire mid Feb. Our daughter is already in Melbourne and has be for 20 months. Our son hopes to go in October. We want to desperately as well.

Can anyone tell me how far in advance I need to be speaking to shipping companies.

Many thanks,

Don't look into it too far in advance as the quote might not be valid. We moved with a few weeks notice and it was hard to get people out to quote, in that they needed a weeks notice or more before they could fit us in. We managed but it wasn't comfortable, to be comfortable I would recommend about six weeks notice to get them in for quoting.

You can call them anytime and they will arrange to come out an quote. Be aware that often if you call them they cannot get out to quote for a few weeks as they get booked up far in advance. Once you've settled on a company they seem to usually ask for at least a few weeks notice on when you want to move. The 2 we were considering said they needed at least 2 weeks if possible.

Because we were looking at a shared container we would have been invoiced once packed (but before shipping) based on volume.

You can leave it as late as you want before departing. In the end we self packed and shipped with a move cube and did this 5 days before we were due to fly out. Although I actually booked the move cube about 8 weeks in advance to ensure I secured the date.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Tin Tacks just wanted to welcome you on board. I was also new at forums when I joined here unfortunately it became addictive and I'm still on here many years later :laugh: Please stay around you will find lots of information on the site and if you can't find it ask away. Sometimes posts can get missed as there are lots made each day so just feel free to bump your thread if we miss it or send one of us a pm and we will answer as soon as we can. If you fancy a break from the migration side of things head in to Chewing The Fat it can be quite daunting at first and if you are like me you will dip your toe in the water and see how it feels. Some just dive straight in. It can get a bit heated in there because most of them know each other, some of it is banter, some sly digs and some sarcasm but overall we are a very friendly bunch.

• 2 months later...

I'm in a good place today! Just returned from Manchester airport where we waved our son off on his way to Melbourne to join his sister. Got back and phoned estate agent to accept offer that had been made on our business on Friday. Just sitting down with a cup of Twinnings Australian afternoon tea whilst watching Bargain Hunt which is coming from Sydney!!! Got my lucky Australian opal earrings in for good measure. First time I've managed a genuine smile for some months :)

Archived