External shutters on windows - Anyone got them?

Goochie

We're fed up with hearing the noise from the arty across the road every other Saturday until midnight.

Now, the English option would of course be to fit double glazing but they're not that keen on it here so it is expensive. We'd also have to do the entire house to ensure it matches so it would very quickly get very expensive.

I dont want those bolt-on or stick-on secondary glazing type panels either. Firstly because they look like 1980's secondary glazing and secondly because we dont have room for them due to the vertical blinds fitted between the windows and curtain.

This leads us to external roller shutters that we've seen around the place and on TV. The have an obvious security advantage and claim to help with noise and thermal insulation.

But how good as these for keeping the noise out? Has anyone here had them fitted and if so, did you notice a difference?

We had them fitted around 1990. They definitely decreased external noise, although that was not a problem for us. We wanted them for insulation...cold enough for snow here sometimes and very windy, so a high wind chill factor. Also, as we're in a bushfire zone, we also bought them to stop windows cracking in extreme heat.

I don't know if they now come in different acoustic/thermal insulation thicknesses. They may do... we recently had a new garage roller door installed which had a special insulation rating.

Have you spoken to you neighbour about the noise? They may not realise that the sound is louder than they think. Keep a diary of the noise and contact the council. Regulations differ in each area but generally there should be no noise after 11 pm.

Sadly, making loads of noise regularly seems to be a fundamental part of WA life here in Perth's northern suburbs. We walk the dog in an hour's radius of home and every Friday and Saturday there are multiple people making lots of noise. I'd say there are half a dozen houses in the local area that do it regularly, one of them (luckily out of earshot of us) makes so much noise you can here it 3 minutes after you've walked past!

The house opposite us is owned by a group of 20 somethings who sit outside playing music and getting drunk. By 11PM the music has been turned up and they're making whooping noises like a bunch on primates. To be fair to them they're always quiet by 12:30AM but thats still far to late.

In our previous suburb (joondalup) the cut-off way 11PM but here (Wanneroo) it's midnight at weekends.

Guest Guest66881

@Goochie yeah we had issues with a noisey opposite us, i just went over the one night and told them to turn it off or i would be phoning the police they said go ahead so i did, they turned up they turned it off.

We logged it for a few weeks and phoned the patrol company street watch they log it too, and inform the police if too loud.

No noise since, the odd weekend party but thats fine we all like to party just not in the week after 9pm.

Roller shutters don't really reduce the noise as such, the noise will travel through the cavaness roof spaces here acting like some sort of weird radar dish picking up deep dull droning noises, we have our roof space insulated to the thickest but you can still here that dull drone of a weekend coming from somewhere over the hill.