Slightly technical question about a child visa

Nerak123

Hi,

I'll probably have to do some research on this but I just wanted to check in case anyone else has been in the same position.

We have 175 skilled migrant visas which are about to run out in march next year. Since then we have had a uk-born daughter who we would like to get a visa for as we are thinking of returning to oz in the next few months before our visa expires. From experience, I know a child visa will take between 6-8 months to go through (correct me if I'm wrong). So we were going to get a 1 year holiday visa for her to come over on in the meantime while the child visa is being processed.

i know that at the point of grant of a child visa you need to leave the country. But by that time our 175 visas will likely have expired - so how will we re-enter?

I will ill on doubt need to speak to the officials but I can't be the only one to have faced this problem. Any experts out there your thoughts greatly appreciated!

Hi we're in just the same position. Have pr 175's for myself, my partner and our eldest who's 7. We've since gone on to have 2 more children now aged 3 and 1. We've lodged their offshore 101 visas and move to melbourne in 5wks eek! We've got 12mth visitor visas for them in the meantime. Our visas expire in jan and we'll get 3mth right to return visas (hopefully!). You can get it it if you have a compelling reason to leave country (I'm assuming this would qualify!). The RRV visa can be applied for online and costs about £100.

Hope that helps!

Jo

Hi, thanks, very helpful. It does help. I had looked very briefly at the returning resident visa but there was something about needing to be resident for 2 years prior to application. Or is the "compelling reason" a free standing test?

Also (sorry to pick your brains) did you have any issues being sponsors for a child visa if, at the time of grant, your visas have expired?

Hi, the 5 year RRV does require an extended length of stay but the 3mth one just requires you to have spent 1 day in australia. I think you still have to prove you have genuine reasons for needing to return to australia, job, schools etc.

No we've not heard anything about it being an issue that our visaa have expired. I guess its not an expiry really I guess. Just takes away the right to to and fro.

Oh and we've been warned by our case officer that the wait for the visa grant is at least 9mths. We lodged on 4th june, got allocated a case officer about 4wks later and have been told to get meds done from september onwards. I guess its then a waiting game.

Jo

Archived