UK tax returns

andromeda9

I guess you are doing a paper return? Why not register for online returns? You can go back to your return and make changes. I forgot to claim my tax back for my rental in the UK last financial year. You have reminded me I still have to adjust my return.

[h=3]HM Revenue & Customs: Self Assessment and your tax return[/h]www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/

Your tax return: the basicsWho needs to complete a tax return, registering for Self Assessment, record keeping, deadlines, bills and payments and more.You've visited this page 4 times. Last visit: 30/08/12

[TABLE=class: nrgt]

[TR=class: mslg _SV]

[TD][h=3]File your tax return online[/h]www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/file-online.htmThe different ways you can file your tax return online Tax return ...

[/TD]

[TD][h=3]Self Assessment[/h]www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/sa/Self Assessment deadline Guidance for tax agents and ...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]More results from hmrc.gov.uk »

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The HMRC online system is good, but you can't submit a non-resident return using it - you need to pay for one of the commercial packages to get access to the residence supplementary pages.

No, that cannot be true because I am non-resident in the UK, and I've been submitting my returns on line for the past five years. You CAN pay for one of those packages if you want, but I just did it myself. I use an accountant for my Aussie returns though.

I checked and you cannot file COMPANY RETURNS on line if you are non-resident.

Understanding and using Self Assessment Online

If you're sending HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) a Self Assessment tax return, you can do it online using the secure service HMRC provides. There are many advantages to filing or sending your tax return online instead of by paper, including automatic calculations, faster processing and later deadlines. On this page:

[h=2]Advantages of sending your tax return online[/h]There are lots of advantages to sending your tax return online:

• it's convenient, safe and secure - your account is encrypted, and protected by your chosen password and a unique User ID
  • you get an instant acknowledgment as soon as HMRC receives your tax return
  • your tax is worked out automatically, so you know what you owe or are owed right away
  • HMRC can repay any money you are owed more quickly than if you send a paper return
  • the deadline for online returns is later than for paper returns
  • you can complete your tax return at your own pace, saving it as you go
  • you can tailor your return, completing the right pages for your circumstances
  • you can store your completed return online and print out a copy for your records
  • you can view your Self Assessment payments and any amounts owed online
  • if you're self-employed, you can view liabilities and payments for your business taxes too
  • you can amend your contact details or use the secure email channel to ask HMRC a question
  • you can pay by Direct Debit - it's safe and secure, and you're less likely to miss a payment deadline

Tax return deadlines and penalties - find out more

Direct Debit payment - find out more

[h=2]Deciding which way to send your return online[/h]You can use the free HMRC Self Assessment service or commercial software to send most tax returns online.

Some types of tax return aren't covered by the free HMRC Self Assessment service, but you can buy commercial software to send them online. These include:

• SA900 - Trust and Estate Tax Return
  • SA800 - Partnership Tax Return
  • your personal tax return if it includes certain additional pages, for example if you're non-resident

Read more about the different ways you can file online

You need to be registered to use HMRC Online Services before you can send your tax return online for the first time. This applies whether you use the free HMRC service or commercial software. See the section below for more information about using HMRC Online Services for the first time.

[h=3]Tax returns you can't send online[/h] There is currently no free HMRC Self Assessment service or commercial software for sending the following returns, so you will need to send them on paper:

• SA700 – Tax Return for a non-resident company liable to Income Tax
  • SA970 – Tax Return for Trustees of Registered Pension Schemes

I checked and you cannot file COMPANY RETURNS on line if you are non-resident.

From your own post:

Some types of tax return aren't covered by the free HMRC Self Assessment service, but you can buy commercial software to send them online. These include:

• SA900 - Trust and Estate Tax Return

• SA800 - Partnership Tax Return

• your personal tax return if it includes certain additional pages, for example if you're non-resident

Isn't that clearly saying you can't submit using the free online service if you are non-resident?

MaryRose - are you completing the Residence supplement to the main return?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/sa109.pdf

Best regards.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right, thanks. I shall have to check. HMRC has confirmed that I can have my rent paid tax-free and they have written to my estate agent to confirm this too. From this UK financial year, my Royal Mail pension will have to be included on my returns. Up till now, it's really just been my rental income on my UK home. I tell my accountant here my UK rental income and he includes something on my return to the ATO.

Hi again MaryRose.

> Check whether you are submitting a Residence supplement. You should be if you are not tax resident in the UK.

> Check also whether your UK source pension income is to be included on a UK tax return. If you are living in Australia as an Aus citizen or as an Aus permanent resident your Royal Mail pension is properly wholly assessable in Australia, and ought not be subject to any PAYE tax deducted in the UK. There is a form to be completed so a NT (No Tax) PAYE Coding is applied to that pension.

Best regards.

From your own post:

Isn't that clearly saying you can't submit using the free online service if you are non-resident?

You are right, I think, but I have been submitting my tax return on line for the past five years. HMRC have my address in Sydney. I can see now why someone else asked me if I signed the non-resident form!? I'll sign on to HMRC website now and have a look! Thanks!

Sorry to hijack......

I spoke to HMRC a few days ago to register my OH for Self assessment so that we can claim tax back on our UK home. The person never mentioned that we would need residence forms that are not available online. Am I missing something? We only moved to Oz in Aug 2013.

Also is it too late to submit NRL1 forms? The ones I did last year never got processed.

Arrrgghhhh!!!!!

Sorry to hijack......

I spoke to HMRC a few days ago to register my OH for Self assessment so that we can claim tax back on our UK home. The person never mentioned that we would need residence forms that are not available online. Am I missing something? We only moved to Oz in Aug 2013.

Also is it too late to submit NRL1 forms? The ones I did last year never got processed.

Arrrgghhhh!!!!!

I just amended my 2012/13 tax return and submitted it to include the NRL tax for the year that I originally forgot to include.

I still have to submit my 2013/14 return, but I have till Jan 2015 to do that as I'm submitting them online.

I registered for this service with HMRC five years ago, and they never queried my eligibility for it.

I'm actually frightened to open a can of worms and ask them if I've been doing the wrong thing.

MaryRose - are you completing the Residence supplement to the main return?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/sa109.pdf

Best regards.

I'm confused to be honest, Alan. Is this form for people, like me, who are non-resident, not ordinarily resident, and not domiciled in the UK? Domicile affects these things I know. As I just said in reply to another post from someone in same boat as me, I registered for the online service five years ago, my address is overseas, unless I've done something wrong?

I'm confused to be honest, Alan. Is this form for people, like me, who are non-resident, not ordinarily resident, and not domiciled in the UK? Domicile affects these things I know. As I just said in reply to another post from someone in same boat as me, I registered for the online service five years ago, my address is overseas, unless I've done something wrong?

Hi MaryRose, I am Alan's business partner. I will jump in if I may. Living abroad or having an address abroad does not make you automatically non-resident. The new UK residency tests are based on a number of factors including the ties you have to the UK. For example you could have been staying on a friends sofa in Australia, have a vacant house waiting for you in the UK and a family/children in the UK waiting for you also. There are many factors but this was just an example that an address abroad does not automatically make you a non-resident of the UK. It is completely frustrating that HMRC do not mention this in their phone calls or correspondence. From memory the online software does prompt you within the software itself that a non-resident should not complete the online form. The free online software is not to be used by non-residents as you cannot access the supplementary residency pages. You can still complete your return by yourself by completing the paper form HMRC send to you which usually does include the residency pages. The paper form is due for lodgment by 31 October wach year. If you did not get sent a form they can be downloaded from HMRC's website. Alternatively the commercial programmes are available or as you know you can instruct an agent.

Hi MaryRose, I am Alan's business partner. I will jump in if I may. Living abroad or having an address abroad does not make you automatically non-resident. The new UK residency tests are based on a number of factors including the ties you have to the UK. For example you could have been staying on a friends sofa in Australia, have a vacant house waiting for you in the UK and a family/children in the UK waiting for you also. There are many factors but this was just an example that an address abroad does not automatically make you a non-resident of the UK. It is completely frustrating that HMRC do not mention this in their phone calls or correspondence. From memory the online software does prompt you within the software itself that a non-resident should not complete the online form. The free online software is not to be used by non-residents as you cannot access the supplementary residency pages. You can still complete your return by yourself by completing the paper form HMRC send to you which usually does include the residency pages. The paper form is due for lodgment by 31 October wach year. If you did not get sent a form they can be downloaded from HMRC's website. Alternatively the commercial programmes are available or as you know you can instruct an agent.

I understand from those examples you gave, but I am an Australian citizen, who lives in Australia, and does not go to the UK. During the time I was in the UK, HMRC accepted that I was domiciled in Australia, on grounds that my home was in Austraila and I was in UK looking after my parents. I suppose when I bought their house, that might have affected my domicile, but I was only living there for about a year.

I suppose the puzzling thing, assuming I am doing the wrong thing, is why I was able to register in the first place for on line returns, carry on filing them online for five years, and I just wrote to HMRC to get my rent taken out tax free. I'm surprised that HMRC has not audited me!?

I may just ring them. I used to have to do a self assessment return for the first few years in UK, then when HMRC accepted my domicile status, they allowed me to go PAYG.

You could ask HMRC to take you out of the Self Assessment system - that would solve the need to lodge UK tax returns.

But if you are to lodge UK tax returns you should - IMHO - lodge them correctly. And that means submitting the Residence supplement.

What you are doing now is incorrect.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by telephoning HMRC, unless you are going to ask for your SA file to be closed.

Best regards.

It was an extreme example to show your address does not necessarily mean non-residence. The residency forms are completed to advise them of your continuing non-residency status. They do not know you have spent time in the UK unless you advise them on the residency pages where they ask you that very question. They allow you to register on-line as the nature of self assessment is the onus is on the tax payer to complete the forms correctly or instruct an accountant to complete them on their behalf.

Archived