Family Friendly Eating in the Shire?

Scozzie

Hi All,

This is something that I have been wondering about for a while and asking my workmates etc for a while but was wondering what you guys thought on the subject. is

I live in the Sutherland Shire and am looking for some new places to go for food with the kids. Can you recommend anywhere? So far my suggestions are as follows but as my kids are 6 and almost 4 they are quite demanding and still need trained in how to behave when out, otherwise it is not exactly fun for me and Mum!

I would love a Buffet Chinese like Jimmy Chungs back in the UK where the kids can try new stuff, as google seems to have only recently moved to these shores the web is less than helpful!

Best so far I think is:

Taren Point Hotel - has a kids soft play that is small, it has a nice menu, fairly reasonable, has a shuttle bus but is a bit out of the way and not near anything else.

Tradies Gymea - small menu but nice place. Not as cheap as I remembered (was there last night and underwhelmed) they have a great kids club which is $5 for an hour and three quarters. Not been to the one in Caringbah as it is Chinese and my family won't go unfortunately.

Caringbah Hotel - Ok food and reasonably priced, They serve pints!

El Sol - was nice for the family although not much to occupy the wee ones. Mexican is not everyones cup of tea as my three yr old told me by pushing her plate off the table.

Suggestions very welcome!

S

x

Hi,

Thanks for the post, we live in Sutherland Shire as well. Only just moved in fact and we like Guzman y Gomez in Cronulla, it is Mexican and our kids are used to the food from the US. You can pick and mix your fillings - rice, beans, cheese, chicken and other stuff for adults

Hi All,

This is something that I have been wondering about for a while and asking my workmates etc for a while but was wondering what you guys thought on the subject. is

I live in the Sutherland Shire and am looking for some new places to go for food with the kids. Can you recommend anywhere? So far my suggestions are as follows but as my kids are 6 and almost 4 they are quite demanding and still need trained in how to behave when out, otherwise it is not exactly fun for me and Mum!

I would love a Buffet Chinese like Jimmy Chungs back in the UK where the kids can try new stuff, as google seems to have only recently moved to these shores the web is less than helpful!

Best so far I think is:

Taren Point Hotel - has a kids soft play that is small, it has a nice menu, fairly reasonable, has a shuttle bus but is a bit out of the way and not near anything else.

Tradies Gymea - small menu but nice place. Not as cheap as I remembered (was there last night and underwhelmed) they have a great kids club which is $5 for an hour and three quarters. Not been to the one in Caringbah as it is Chinese and my family won't go unfortunately.

Caringbah Hotel - Ok food and reasonably priced, They serve pints!

El Sol - was nice for the family although not much to occupy the wee ones. Mexican is not everyones cup of tea as my three yr old told me by pushing her plate off the table.

Suggestions very welcome!

S

x

I didnt realise how bad Cronulla was for families eating out until some of my friends came over for a few weeks last Feb. We struggled a lot, she has 3 kids aged between 4-9. Mainly due to the poor or lack of menu choice for kids. Tradies Gymea is expensive imo, the same as Cronulla RSL. Never eat in either of them. For such a large area I really think its lacking in some good family restaurants.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Thought I'd post again to give it a bump in case anyone has any more suggestions.

I read somewhere online recently that Mike's Pub in Sutherland is the best for pub food in the Shire. Never been myself but another option. I believe there are some good spots over the water in Beverly Hills or San Souci.

S x

Scozzie, Mikes bar and grill at Tom Ugly bridge has great food for kids and adults and is reasonably priced that said not much for them to do as it's just a restaurant. The Crest Hotel in Sylvania (Southgate Shopping Centre) is a different matter, soft play area for kids, great food and a good price, I think the play area is also free but you would have to check on that. There is a a Chinese Yum Char in blakehurst which is always full of youngsters and being a yum char they can pick their own food as the waiters/waitresses bring it round. There is a Tepenyaki at Sylvania Heights which is good fun as the chef likes to throw food into the kids mouths oh and raw eggs into their bowls, harmless fun but the kids we saw really enjoyed it, there's also a few Chinese places within a few minutes walk but don't do the buffet type menu, Jade Lotus is pretty good food though.

HTH

Dax

Archived