457 Visa Transfer time line 2014

Clock

Hey Drewbty,

Did you watch for notifications in your immi account ? Did it show any updates ? Mine just says in progress , its been 3 weeks yesterday. I thought I would have been allocated a case officer by now.

My employer does also have to be approved to be a sponsor, I guess that might be the reason it might take longer than usual.

As per my migration agent the immi got a lot of 457 visa application by the end of June. ( expected to be a price hike but it didn't happen)

Now due to school holidays majority of them are on holidays. So it may take some delay in process and allocation of case officer

@littlesarah - On a decision ready application there will be no updates in the immi account - generally the day you get assigned a case officer they look at your application and either put it through or refuse it.

If you have to provide police checks, medicals, and they are not submitted in your application that will delay things. If your employer hasn't been accepted as a business sponsor yet, then your application can't progress until that happens.

@Clock - this agent is just speculating about the extra applications before the possible July 1st price rises. It would make sense for skilled independent applications, but not 457 visas. There's also no way they could know this information unless they have a friend/relation that works there. The second point they said to you is just plain preposterous! School holidays have exactly zero correlation vis a vis when immigration officers take their holidays. Going by current time-frames, your application should get looked at and a decision made on it near the end of this month, providing it's decision ready.

I've transfered mine twice this year - once in January and once in May. Both times it took 2.5 weeks.

That was transferring to a sponsor who was already authorised, and my 457 visa having been reviewed within 4 months (so not a lot of new history to look at).

I'm about to do it again!

Nice stuff clock. I imagine there was little worrying done this time around since this was inter company transfer, for others it's agony!

@BadgerLady - Just basically being nosy here, but what industry are you in, and why do you keep moving around do you mind me asking?

Nice stuff clock. I imagine there was little worrying done this time around since this was inter company transfer, for others it's agony!

@BadgerLady - Just basically being nosy here, but what industry are you in, and why do you keep moving around do you mind me asking?

I work in service design... and before I came here I was a contractor, but I found most employers (service design agencies) in Sydney were keen for permanent staff. The main reason I've done so many transfers this year:

July 2013 - got a permanent job with Company A on a WHV

October 2013 - was approved for 457

January 2013 - Company A was acquired by Company B, so had to transfer the 457

February 2013 - not being a fan of Company B, I interviewed with Company C and decided to move on... but they were dragging their feet for complicated reasons and weren't yet ready to hire me.

May 2014 - got a job offer from Company D... it wasn't my ideal role but it was better than Company B so I took it and transferred my 457

July 2014 - finally got a job offer from Company C so accepted that... now transferring the 457 again

Hope that clears it up a bit :-P My plan is to stay with Company C now for two years so I can go for PR (I failed my skills assessment on an irritating technicality despite being massively in demand by employers).

That clears it up alright! Love the meticulous reply!

I was in Sydney until recently, it's a fantastic place. I've now moved to Melbourne for a job opportunity, and will have to do 2+ years down here in the poorer weather ;/

Badger Lady - do mind asking about the service design. Where can I sent my daughter to study the same. It look like a demanding job

It's an awesome job, and a quickly growing demand for qualified people in Australia! Best courses to study would be Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology and Social Research, then get into an internship / do post grad studies in service design. She'll also want to look at creative pursuits and design thinking - sketching skills are desirable :-)

Archived