Alternative to Movecube?

rattatoile

Hey guys,

Simple question - anyone have any alternatives to Movecube. We can't justify the expense of a part / full container, and also don't have enough items to ship. The Movecube size medium / large seems ideal, but it be nice to scope the competition for other prices & services (have read the majority of reviews on Movecube on here).

Thanks!

What about sending your belongings as Groupage (I think that's what it's called!). Basically you send it in part of a container along with other people also sending their belongings this way, in other words you share the container. You can use any of the shipping companies who I think come to your home to have a look at what you want to send, estimate the cubic feet and will then provide a quote. Might be worth a comparison?

There isn't really one that I can think of of medium/large MoveCube size. Part container but you don't want to do that you say. Ship boxes individually but other items that's not really possible.

Move cubes are well worth it IMHO. We used a large one without issue. O

We sent 8 large boxes with Crown Relo in a group / shared container and we ha no issues. Lots of shipping companys offer this service so it may be worth getting prices from a few of them and see what works out the cheapest.

Cal x

Biggest mistake we made in our whole move was recruiting the services of PSS to shift our stuff over, nothing against them in particular, they were very efficient when they packed our stuff.

We paid £1480 for a 'groupage' style move which equated to approximately 240 cubic feet of container space which also included the moving and packing service.

PSS removed our possessions on 16th June, it is now 15th July and guess what, it is still at their warehouse in England, I always knew it would take around 8 to 12 weeks to get here, but seriously, you would have thought it would have been on a ship by now!

What I should have done was left stuff at relatives houses and gradually transported it over with visits or alternatively chipped in with other movers to share their crate.

Oh well, major lesson learnt!

Slightly off topic but what we realised the most when we moved out here is the amount of money you spend or should I say waste on getting the shipping company to pack for you.

We were hovering around at home while they were packing and theres nothing to it, all common sense.

Lets just say next time we will pack our selves.

Insurance too is another grey area.....is it worth it....i guess it only takes something to happen to make you wish you had it but still...what are the chances...hmm.

Biggest mistake we made in our whole move was recruiting the services of PSS to shift our stuff over, nothing against them in particular, they were very efficient when they packed our stuff.

We paid £1480 for a 'groupage' style move which equated to approximately 240 cubic feet of container space which also included the moving and packing service.

PSS removed our possessions on 16th June, it is now 15th July and guess what, it is still at their warehouse in England, I always knew it would take around 8 to 12 weeks to get here, but seriously, you would have thought it would have been on a ship by now!

What I should have done was left stuff at relatives houses and gradually transported it over with visits or alternatively chipped in with other movers to share their crate.

Oh well, major lesson learnt!

The thing with groupage is that till the container is full, it won't ship. And iirc it's 40ft container so a lot to fill. Can take longer than sole use.

The thing with groupage is that till the container is full, it won't ship. And iirc it's 40ft container so a lot to fill. Can take longer than sole use.

As I said, a major lesson learnt. Certainly won't be making that mistake again, hopefully others will read this and think twice about their options

There is a speedier alternative to groupage for a part load, which is LCL (Less than container load). Your items are loaded into a wooden crate (called a lift van) and transported into a consolidator for shipping and collection by the removal company at the other end. As the consolidators deal with much higher volume than individual moving companies the containers fill very quickly so can be shipped much quicker, typically in the same time frame as an exclusive load, give or take a few days for delivering in and handing out.

The difference to Move Cube is most removal companies don't let you load the container yourselves as they don't have the small low level trailer equipment and will bring them on their truck which health and safety / company insurance doesn't permit the public to load into. Instead they will come and collect all your things and load them for you.

So, if speed is your concern it might be worth looking at as an alternative, but if speed isn't a problem then groupage is by far the most cost effective method of shipment for a smaller move.

Hope that helps!

There is a speedier alternative to groupage for a part load, which is LCL (Less than container load). Your items are loaded into a wooden crate (called a lift van) and transported into a consolidator for shipping and collection by the removal company at the other end. As the consolidators deal with much higher volume than individual moving companies the containers fill very quickly so can be shipped much quicker, typically in the same time frame as an exclusive load, give or take a few days for delivering in and handing out.

The difference to Move Cube is most removal companies don't let you load the container yourselves as they don't have the small low level trailer equipment and will bring them on their truck which health and safety / company insurance doesn't permit the public to load into. Instead they will come and collect all your things and load them for you.

So, if speed is your concern it might be worth looking at as an alternative, but if speed isn't a problem then groupage is by far the most cost effective method of shipment for a smaller move.

Hope that helps!

I have just loaded a large move cube. I got a quote from John Mason for part container load and not only did they quote more but also had very limited days for pick up. Seven seas were able to supply the move cube within 7 days of request. So good for last minute plans.

In my opinion the move cube represents the best value and the reassurance that your belongings will arrive in their own self contained space. Yes it takes longer than a dedicated sole use container but less than a shared container.

It is surprising that no one else has a similar product of a small exclusive use container.

Hope that helps.

It is surprising that no one else has a similar product of a small exclusive use container.

sorry, forgot to mention LCL containers are exclusive use. Both Move Cubes and LCL lift vans are loaded in steel containers for shipping, but only your belongings will be within the wooden crate.

Archived