Crime on the Gold Coast

Mybabiesmumma

Hi everyone,

We have live on the coast for 6 years and absolutely love it! I've recently started to hear more and more about crime on the coast and heard the coast referred to as the crime capital of Australia a few times and it's starting to make me feel uneasy! I know crime happens everywhere but we moved from the UK to give our kids a safer life and in not sure that the Gold Coast is that safer place anymore.

I'm seriously thinking about moving away. We love the coast,beaches,great weather,theme parks etc, where in Australia can we live and be close to all the things we love but be safe and happy??

In your opinion does such an amazing place existing....and where is it!?

x

Every time I listen to the Radio in Brisbane all the news seems to be crimes happening at the Gold Coast. Move up the road? saying that we had some foreign student murders ourselves...

Hi everyone,

We have live on the coast for 6 years and absolutely love it! I've recently started to hear more and more about crime on the coast and heard the coast referred to as the crime capital of Australia a few times and it's starting to make me feel uneasy! I know crime happens everywhere but we moved from the UK to give our kids a safer life and in not sure that the Gold Coast is that safer place anymore.

I'm seriously thinking about moving away. We love the coast,beaches,great weather,theme parks etc, where in Australia can we live and be close to all the things we love but be safe and happy??

In your opinion does such an amazing place existing....and where is it!?

x

I've lived on the GC for 10 years and haven't seen any crime, so that's 16 years between us.

As you say, there's crime everywhere, the news seems to focus on the Gold Coast but when I lived in Sydney there seemed to be a murder in the "inner West" every other week. If anyone has the stat's for number of crimes per 100,000 residents for various towns I'd love to see them.

So, no, in my opinion such a place does not exist, nowhere is totally safe, you might find somewhere with, say 8 robberies per 100,000 people rather than 10 but would that really make you feel much better?

You live somewhere, you like it and have seen no problems, do you really want to uproot yourself just because of what you hear on the news, which is overblown anyway as far as I can see? One suggestion is to look at the gated communities around Hope Island & Helensvale, we live in one and security cruises past every half hour or so, we do it because we like the area (and have to commute to Brisbane), not for the security but I quite like that aspect too now.

Anyway - just did a quick google and crime rates on the GC are way down since the bikie crackdown - http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/no-we-run-this-town-police-statistics-show-bikie-crackdown-is-working/story-fnj94idh-1226781158035 - but of course we didn't hear so much about that on the news!

A bit more research http://www.police.qld.gov.au/ lets you view crime stats per suburb, for the GC Surfers & Southport are highish but the rest of the suburbs don't seem to have a huge amount of crime, no more so than similar areas of, say Brisbane.

That's an interesting map Freebo, I haven't been here long enough to comment. Having been a victim of a mugging in the UK, I try to always be aware of who's around me. I was shocked by the recent bag snatch from the OAP in Robina town centre as I go there a reasonable amount.

Do people think it maybe the emphasis on the Bike crackdown had focused attention on crime in the area and it has been reported more ?

Id either move to the far Northern tip like Jacobs Well, Pimpama etc or the top end of the Sunshine Coast. I must admit hubby works on the coast ,he has since we arrived in Australia and he commutes 50 mins each way as we prefer it here for kids, crime being one of our bigger reasons we don't want them down there.

Cal x

That's an interesting map Freebo, I haven't been here long enough to comment. Having been a victim of a mugging in the UK, I try to always be aware of who's around me. I was shocked by the recent bag snatch from the OAP in Robina town centre as I go there a reasonable amount.

Do people think it maybe the emphasis on the Bike crackdown had focused attention on crime in the area and it has been reported more ?

I dont think its being reported more, id say its more likely to be hitting the headlines as there is less serious Bikie crime going on.

Cal x

"We have live on the coast for 6 years and absolutely love it! I've recently started to hear more and more about crime on the coast and heard the coast referred to as the crime capital of Australia a few times and it's starting to make me feel uneasy! I know crime happens everywhere but we moved from the UK to give our kids a safer life and in not sure that the Gold Coast is that safer place anymore. I'm seriously thinking about moving away".

If you love it (as I do) why would you move away? I am not aware that crime is any greater on the Gold Coast than anywhere else and having lived in both Sydney and Brisbane I'd say there is far more crime in areas of these two places than the Gold Coast. However, it made us smile when a friend of ours who lives in Inala (aka Dodge City), upon hearing that we were going to buy on the Gold Coast, also gave us warnings about it being a 'dangerous place' to live. :mask:

Archived