Melbourne a snapshot of language

Petals

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-language-study-reveals-a-cacophony-of-diversity-20140711-zt4b4.html

Interesting article showing where the different nationalities have settled in Melbourne and who still speak a language other than English.

If looking for good schools look for Mandarin and Cantonese as they tend to settle where there are supposedly good Government schools.

I think I saw the same article, but for Sydney, showing the various areas of the city, and the percentages of particular ethnic groups. Funny in a way, because I often see posts on here, that would make you think there are only two groups of people living in OZ, Anglo-Saxon/Celtic Aussies and Pommies. Walking through Surry Hills, is like walking through the UN!

Melbourne is very Cosmopolitan- in some areas there are very few 'traditional' white Anglo Saxon/Celtic families. You still get big groups of people living in particular areas like Oakleigh ( Greeks), Richmond ( Vietnamese) Box Hill ( Chinese, Vietnamese, Glen Waverley ( Chinese) but a lot of the areas llke Carlton, Footscray ( used to be many Italians) are changing and becoming more diverse. Then you have the 'new' migrant areas like Dandenong where Australian isn't spoken that often as a main language.

Archived