Submitting my 309 this week!

AlexDenvor

Hello there, I am british by birth but have recently completed my two years working holiday in Melbourne. During my time there I met my partner who is from Tasmania. We are looking to get a de facto visa for me as we can't spend anymore time apart. I have moved to New Zealand as it's the closest possible place.

Sometime this week we're going to submit our almost complete application and I was just wondering from when I can get back into Australia? Because I've heard that you can live and work in aus whilst it's processing, but is there anything I need to be accepted for before that?

thanks a lot :)

Alex

If you apply offshore you can visit on a tourist visa while waiting for it to be granted. And you will need to be off shore for it to be granted (not in Aus).

On shore applications for de facto will give you a bridging visa to remain in Aus and this generally comes with work rights till your de facto is granted. On shore costs more, takes longer.

As Snifter said, if you apply from outside Australia you may be able to come over on a tourist visa while it's processing... but you won't be able to work.

You can only work if you apply from *in* Australia. Then you get a bridging visa that kicks in whenever what visa you're on when you apply expires, and you can work once that happens. No bridging visa if you apply from outside Australia.

Archived