Midwife IELTS - Please HELP asap if you can :)

JenPen

Hello everyone

Long time no speak - I have been totally snowed under, so apologies for coming back on and asking a question straight away!!! :wubclub:

Please can someone tell me whether as a Midwife you have to take IELTS anyway? as part of assessment or something? (NOT for points!)

Thanks in advance :wubclub::wubclub:

Please don't take my word for this as it might be different for nursing professionals but based on our experience applying for a 189 visa through my husband being a mechanical engineer, he only had to sit an IELTS test because he was 5 points short of the pass mark for the visa - as far as I'm aware if you were born in the UK and English is your mother tongue language then I don't think you need to sit it unless you physically need the points to make you eligible to apply for a visa.

Thanks for info! I called immi and they told me as a midwife you have to take academic ielts and score a min of 7 in each area! Waaaah! Anyway more money haha! Thanks for input and good luck with your journey xx

Hi JenPen, I enquired with imm a few weeks ago about this same subject and was informed that it wasn't a requirement if you are UK citizen unless you require additional points for your visa. Not sure if it differs for 190 state sponsorship as this is the visa I am hoping to apply for once my skills assessment has been completed.

Hello everyone

Long time no speak - I have been totally snowed under, so apologies for coming back on and asking a question straight away!!! :wubclub:

Please can someone tell me whether as a Midwife you have to take IELTS anyway? as part of assessment or something? (NOT for points!)

Yes you need to take IELTS and score 7 in each category [h=3]Overseas Midwives NEW - Australian College of Midwives[/h]www.midwives.org.au › Professional Development

English language requirements

You are exempt from language testing if you are a midwife registered with the New Zealand Midwifery Council and applying for Australian registration under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition agreement.

To register as a midwife in Australia, you are required to provide evidence that you meet English language proficiency requirements. AHPRA have recently published a fact sheet and FAQ web page that may assist you with understanding the requirements: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/2013-06-12-fact-sheet.aspx

The English language requirements set by ANMAC for migration purposes can be slightly different. If you hold registration as a midwife with either AHPRA or the Midwifery Council of New Zealand then you are exempt from an English language test for migration purposes. Midwives with registration anywhere else in the world are subject to an English language proficiency test.

MAKE SURE YOU BOOK THE ACADEMIC TEST

Archived