criminal record other family members

Anna Edgell

Please can anyone help ! We are near the beginning of the visa process and are doing as much reading as possible. Last night we were reading about good character requirements. Whilst my hubby and I have NO criminal record at all we do have a mother and brother between us that have recently been convicted of crime. Will this mean we will be refused a visa as they might be classed as associated to us. We have very little contact with this side of the family ( Christmas only really) but I don't know HELP :confused:

It's not a problem unless you are trying to get them on your visa as dependents.

Assuming they are not on your application then you would not need to declare the convictions; you will not have to show police checks; nobody will ever know and even fewer people will care.

Good luck with your application.

I hope you are right. However I have seen on the character test a part that reads "the have, or have had an association with an individual group or organisation suspected or having been convicted of being involved in criminal conduct." Was not sure as you do have to fill out a form with siblings and parents names on so they must look at this stuff !!

Its not going to be an issue......my brother and father have criminal records and I am sponsoring my partner to come to Australia on the 309/100 visa and there has been nothing raised by our CO in relation to it.

It obviously doesnt show up on anyone's police check as you dont provide police checks for family, only the people that are applying for a visa. So as Quinkla mentioned, unless you are sponsoring them as dependents then its not going to show up.

As for the character test, do you mean the declaration that you sign when completing the requisite forms? I dont see it being much of a problem as I read "association" to be something more involved than simply being related to folks who have a criminal record. Geesh, I cant imagine the number of people that would be excluded from Australia if they were stopped from going by simply being related to people with a criminal record. Its not fair to blame family members for other people's actions and to exclude some because of something out of their control. I believe that you are signing that declaration to say that you havent had any association or taken any action with people that you knew was illegal - ie you didnt knowingly get involved in illegal action or know of people doing something illegal and not speak up about it.

Mind you we dont have our visa as yet - at 7 1/2 months wait - but our CO hasnt said anything and to be honest, how would they know? I dont believe they do checks on family members even though you do provide their names.

Archived