Advice

Guest David1805

Guest David1805

Hi,

We are hoping to move to Perth in March '09, provided we can sell our house etc... We are coming to look arounf in Ocober '08. Can anyone recommend a bank we can consider opening an account with? Also recommend a good firm to move our belongings out to Perth?

Thanks

David & Beverley

Guest Laura G

Hi David,

Open a bank account with either Commonwealth, Westpac or ANZ,commonwealth have a branch in London at the Barbican.

When moving money to OZ, make sure you use someon like HIFX, you get a better rate than using a bank and if your moving large sums of money, it can make a huge difference. I can put you in touch with someone at HIFX, they can open a cureny account, it costs nothing and you don't have to give them any money until you are ready to send money to your Australian bank account.

I would recomend either PSS or Anglo Pacific as shippers, both are professional, I used PSS, but friends have used Anglo Pacific and neither of us could fault their service, packing and the arrival of our goods, I had no breakages and no issues with Customs as everything was accounted for correctly, Customs never even opened my boxes, they were all still sealed with my signature when I received them.

Laura

When we went on our rekkie we went into the nearest westpac with our driving licences and passports and opened and account there and then, really simple. You can also open an account with them on line if you want. When the exchange rate was good (seems ages ago now!) we sent over small amounts as if you pay over $50 into an account each month you get a higher interest rate. We went through a company called first contact and they charge about £7 per transaction where as our bank wanted to charge £25 per transaction. But we will use HiFX for the big one (if we ever sell our house) as their exchange rates are better.

Guest Pinhead

I opened an account with CBA remotely by just sending them a scanned copy of my passport & driving licence plus signing the forms they sent me. I maintain my streamline & netsaver accounts remotely from the UK without any problems.

I've used CBA for 5 years and have always found them to be very good plus they have ATMs everywhere in Oz.

Archived