Indian Software Engineer from kerala started Skilled Migration - confused

sreejeshonchiyam

I am 31 year old Indian software engineer working in java/j2ee development field. I have good job and better salary in dubai, but dubai is for short term stay so i plan to move to Australia and started skilled migration. The big thing coming to my mind is, is it safe to work there as Indian? or which area is safe. I heard that some cities are not fully family oriented, we have to avoid such cities and Most of the cities are not safe after 8:00 PM. All this thing i picked up from Indian media, i didn't experience it in real. In Dubai me and wife can travel even at midnight nobody will bother us, as a strict country our family have security, all will respect rules and low because of heavy punishment if found violated. I am not expecting same in other Country, But i need anybodies advice about what mind set i have to follow if i reach Australia? or commonly if Indians are not welcomed there "not like exceptional case i mean commonly:err:", i have to decide my future with other plan.

Australia is very multicultural - I am a software engineer too and worked with many Indians in Perth and all were very happy and had no problems with racism.

You do have to accept it is a different culture - the wife of one of my colleagues who were muslims from Pakistan did find it hard, she struggled with how people dressed and the alcohol. He would not bring her to dinner at our house for example as we would have been drinking but they chose to live in an area where she could meet similar people and as far as I know have now settled.

There have been a few isolated problems in Melbourne and Sydney but I would not let that concern you.

You do need to be aware that getting a job without 'local knowledge' can be a challenge and migrants who have English as a first language may get priority too - your skills are in demand but not so much so that you could easily walk into the first job you apply for. Do be prepared for 3-6 months of unemployment or 'underemployment' - I met far, far too many software engineers from India driving taxi's on my travels.

Thank you all, Getting job is a luck and i know how much struggle required to get a first job in other countries. Even in Dubai i stay jobless for 3 month, Its a part of career. I only worry about the attitude that are in common not exceptional. Now i feel positive.

" In Indian, in rural area, some time it is not safe for ladies at night, if they walk alone and this is not a media hype ", The main reason is that there is very minor punishment for sexual harassment. We are struggling to avoid this problem from this minority backward people.

Archived