Your first job in Melbourne - share your experience!

Guest nastasia

Guest nastasia

Hello all! So can anyone share how much time they took to get their first job? What are your qualifications? What job did you take? Is it a job in your field , did you go down a level? Can you manage with the salary?

Please share your experiences!

Been here 5 months.

No job as of yet.

Been looking, but not killing it.

Wife has a job here in Geelong, we manage on one salary.

I used to be an IT manager, Have a degree, HND and some other small qualifications. Currently working on vendor qualifications.

Seems they tend to prefer Australians for a lot of the jobs :) or they don't love me :)

Guest nastasia
Lucky enough to get one from uk before I came cav. Thats no good cav looks like ur my competition for geelong IT jobs.

Hi wolvesaussie, how did you manage to get a job before?

Im in the golf industry and i was lucky our qualifications are the same however they fleece you on joining the pga, in uk and vietnam where i was before its free and done over night, here even after 10 years i had to retake my playing bit and pay 4k plus!!! but worked in the city a GOLFTEC but now me and wife *expecting baby no.2) went freelance, so much more rewarding and quite honestly the australians seem to love the small business which is great for a yorkshireman as were the friendliest people in the world!!!

I set up 3 interviews before I left the UK. I did 2 of them the week after I got here (3rd one evaporated) and was offered one of the jobs, over an interview which mainly consisted of a discussion about which AFL team I would be supporting once I joined.

Still in the same job 7 years later!

BB

Just applied avoided any jobs via agents. Had a Skype interview got the job

Just out of interest, how did you find the jobs without agents?

Finding agents here to be harder work than back in the UK, even then I used them mainly for employing people and found it a pain :)

I had a maternity leave teaching job lined up before I came.

It hadn't been advertised, I just rang a few schools around where we would be living 3 months before the move and asked if they had anything going as of........

Two rang me back for a phone interview, the one that got in first was the one I took.

After the maternity leave was up they (and the other school again) offered me a 12 month contract that turned into permanent a year later.

The oh is a nurse, she had two interviews lined up in local hospitals ( one public, one private) and was again offered both. She was working within 2 weeks of landing, me within 3.

Archived