When do we start paying for Medicare levy (tax return time!)

baguette

Hi All!

I've applied for ENS 186 in April, at a time when my 457 was still valid. My bridging visa took over in May and I've only realized that I could be entitled to Medicare. I have my acknowledgment letter for a valid application, but haven't been to Medicare yet.

Would anyone know whether for taxation purpose, I have to pay for the medicare levy as of:

1/ april as this is when acknowledgment letter was sent

2/ may as this is when bridging visa 010 was "activated"

3/ the day I visit Medicare to have a medicare card?

I've kept on paying private insurance which is very expensive, and though I'm happy to potentially be eligible for Medicare, I'd be a bit annoyed to have to pay for both private health insurance and Medicare levy at the same time. Also if I get to choose when Medicare is activated, I'd go on July 1st as it would be much easier to fill my tax return for the fiscal year.

Many thanks for your answers!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All!

I've applied for ENS 186 in April, at a time when my 457 was still valid. My bridging visa took over in May and I've only realized that I could be entitled to Medicare. I have my acknowledgment letter for a valid application, but haven't been to Medicare yet.

Would anyone know whether for taxation purpose, I have to pay for the medicare levy as of:

1/ april as this is when acknowledgment letter was sent

2/ may as this is when bridging visa 010 was "activated"

3/ the day I visit Medicare to have a medicare card?

I've kept on paying private insurance which is very expensive, and though I'm happy to potentially be eligible for Medicare, I'd be a bit annoyed to have to pay for both private health insurance and Medicare levy at the same time. Also if I get to choose when Medicare is activated, I'd go on July 1st as it would be much easier to fill my tax return for the fiscal year.

Many thanks for your answers!

There are two Medicare levies, I would be surprised if you are not having the first one deducted automatically from your wages? Are you sure this is not the case? The second levy is only paid if you earn over a certain amount and in this case if you have private medical insurance you don't pay it at all. Many people will keep private health cover as it is cheaper than the second levy.

I do not have medical insurance, but I think I avoid the levy because I am earning well below the threshold - $50 000? or $80 000. I have just paid out a few thousand dollars on a private operation, but I'm still not sure about taking out medical insurance. I've got a feeling I will be able to claim this bill on my tax return, must speak to my accountant about that.

Archived