Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'tax return'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 10 results

  1. https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodge-with-a-registered-tax-agent/ A reminder that the 2019 Australian tax return filing deadline is now less than a month away - unless you have appointed a registered tax agent to represent you. Most registered tax agents have a special lodgment program with the Australian Taxation Office and can lodge returns for their clients after the usual 31 October deadline. If you want to appoint a tax agent in respect of your 2019 Australian tax return you need to contact the agent before 31 October 2019 to take advantage of their lodgment program due dates. Best regards.
  2. I moved back to the UK last year and doing my tax return. As a non-resident does anyone know if I need to do a tax return in future or can I tick 'final return'? I don't have any assets in Australia but do hold a super account that I can't touch for a number of years. Thanks!
  3. Hi Guys, I'm after some guidance/suggestions... As the end of the current financial year is quickly approaching I'm finding myself without an accountant. I appreciate I could google local accountants etc. however, I am hoping to find one accustomed with WHV transitions to 457 visa's? I arrived here on a WHV June 2016, started my first and only job in Australia in Oct 2016 and have since received my 457 sponsored visa this past week. I have resided in Sydney the whole time, having traveled a little before being offered my current job, with all the immigration/tax policy changes experienced this year my employer approached me yesterday to give me a heads up that they are unsure whether they have been taxing me correctly and thus, I may experience a tax bill at the end of this tax year. Can anyone recommend a good accountant in the Sydney area, who is accustomed to dealing with tax returns for people in my situation? TIA
  4. Andy Sephton

    UK and Australian tax years

    Hi, I have recently become an Australian permanent resident, meaning I now have to declare my UK income here. My question fro this forum is does anyone know if I have to declare my UK income for the last UK financial year (April 2013-March 2014) or for the dates of the Australian financial year (July 2013 - June 2014). Just a bit confused as I have only paid tax on my UK income up to April 2014 so not sure how to report my income and how much tax I have paid on it in the UK from the period from April to June this year. Hope that makes some kind of sense and that someone can help me. Thanks.
  5. Hi All! I've applied for ENS 186 in April, at a time when my 457 was still valid. My bridging visa took over in May and I've only realized that I could be entitled to Medicare. I have my acknowledgment letter for a valid application, but haven't been to Medicare yet. Would anyone know whether for taxation purpose, I have to pay for the medicare levy as of: 1/ april as this is when acknowledgment letter was sent 2/ may as this is when bridging visa 010 was "activated" 3/ the day I visit Medicare to have a medicare card? I've kept on paying private insurance which is very expensive, and though I'm happy to potentially be eligible for Medicare, I'd be a bit annoyed to have to pay for both private health insurance and Medicare levy at the same time. Also if I get to choose when Medicare is activated, I'd go on July 1st as it would be much easier to fill my tax return for the fiscal year. Many thanks for your answers!
  6. Hi, I imagine a lot of people still have their UK house and rent it out while in Oz, so I hope someone can give me a bit of advice. My house in the UK made a loss over the first year, so no profit to pay tax on in the UK or Oz, good so far. Last year I did make a profit, but not enough to offset the previous loss, so no UK tax liability again... However, can anyone advise... For my Aussie tax return, do I need to declare the profit I made this year - even though I have not made an overall profit from that 'business' or is it my tax liability from the UK that I need to declare? I think at current rates it will be a couple of years before the loss is exhausted so this is something I will need to deal with for a while... If anyone can give me some clear advice that would be great, else can anyone recommend a tax advisor in Melbourne (City or eastern burbs prefferably) who has helped them with this, that would be next best. I have a BN136 Permanent Resident visa and I'm resident for tax purposes. Thanks for reading my post. Neil
  7. I'm just doing my Oz tax return and wondering whether you have to pay oz taz on UK NI and pension contributions that you made in that year. It's a slightly unique situation, whilst we were in Australia I was receiving maternity pay and then we returned in March this year so had 4 months of full pay in the tax year. I've entered my income and tax paid but can't see where I could off-set the NI & pension as you don't pay tax on those in the UK. I do have to declare all these and other foreign income as we were resident for tax purposes. Anyone know any answers I looked around on the internet and can't see anything relevant. Thanks
  8. Hi All, Just stumbled across this forum after finding nothing on the ATO website or geeky tax forums, so hello everyone! Basically I'd like to know whether the costs associated with a 189 skilled migration visa are allowable for tax purposes to claim as a deduction on a tax return. With the cost of the visa itsef, police checks, medicals, skills assessment, IELTS test etc, it's cost me around $5k so if I could deduct this from my income for tax purposes it would be fantastic! If I can't get a definitive answer, I'm leaning towards claiming it anyway... and hoping that I don't get a tax return audit! Cheers
  9. Alan Collett

    Tax return deadlines - 2012

    http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?doc=/content/00333714.htm ATO reminder regarding the submission of 2012 tax returns. Remember also that any paper based UK tax returns must be lodged with HMRC before the end of this month; after 31/10/2012 you must submit your 2012 UK tax return electronically. Best regards.
  10. Hi all, A couple of questions about UK mortgage interest, rental property income, bank interest etc that I will declare on my Aussie tax return: 1) Given that the amounts were accrued over the whole year, what's the correct exchange rate to use? 2) What's the right approach to take with the different dates on UK/Aussie tax years? I mean, on my Aussie tax return, should I declare the April-March figures or the July-June figures for my UK assets & liabilities? TIA Tarby