489 nt state sponcership

Hey all. I'm currently in the process of applying for the nt state sponsorship 489 visa. I have everything in process to apply for this visa or so I taught. My agent is after telling me that I need to get a letter off an employer offering me a contract. She funnily enough tells me this after I paid her $2000 deposit. I've got in contact with a few electrical contractors and have even been called for interviews but I cannot attend as I'm back in the uk. When I explain this to the employer they tell me they need to fill the positions straight away and they cannot wait until my visa is granted ( which I totally understand). I'm sure I'm not the only person experiencing these problems so I'd be very appreciated if ye could share how ye got round this problem. Or what sites are the best to look at etc. if ye don't want to post here due to thinking outside the box feel free to pm me - thanks in advance for yer help

I'm a electrician by trade.i have a Northern Territory licence too as I've been over there already on a working holiday visa not so long ago My issue isn't so much with my agent although she could of told me this at the start. I actually think she is a good agent. I've already been asked to come for 2 interviews by 2 different company's but when I tell them that I need to get a job offer before I can go for a interview they more or less tell me to f**k off which I can totally understand. I'm just wondering if I really need this letter as I don't see it stated on the NT website. So I'm just wondering if anyone else applying for the 190 or the 489 visa experienced this and how did they go about obtaining this or is my agent just been over cautious with my visa application. Thanks again in advance

First, there is no requirement published by the NT for this. I would have been surprised is there was given that electrician is on the sol list and a 189 visa is available that doesn't require any for of sponsorship. The only stipulation for electricians in the NT sponsorship program is that they must have ILETS at a minimum of a score 6.

That is why I questioned if your agent is registered. There are some occupations that have to show evidence of a job offer but none of the electrical ones have this imposed. http://www.australiasnorthernterritory.com.au/Working/bsm/nt-nominated-general/Pages/sol.aspx

Thanks a lot for your advice. After searching through the nt website I also could not find anything stating I needed a offer of contract. It says I need to prove that I have strong ties to the nt so maybe she taught this would be the best way of proving that. Thank again mate as this was really starting to frustrate.

I am stuck on 50 points so I need to get ten points off the state rather then the 5 points so I don't have much of a option as I've done the Ielts 4 times now and I can't get 8s in all the exams at the same time. I always seem to get a 7 or a 7.5 in one exam. So the 489 is my only real option but I can live with that. What issues do u know about the visa. I know it's temporary but I was under the impression you would get residency after 2 years

No I should be good on that front as there is a big project starting up there. I have the experience and a contact with a company so pretty confident I'll get a start there once I get a visa. Do you know how long roughly this process takes on average as my agent just sent off for the expression of interest

Difficult to say as every case is different. There are a fee 489 threads running at the moment that might give some ideas. It has been a bit slow for many as ceilings have been reached but new ceilings start on the 1st July which should speed things up a bit.

Archived