Student visa timespan qs

Pommy Mark

Hello everyone

i am wanting do a bachelors degree in Sydney. The next semester starts in about 4 weeks.

I am currently doing a whv and that expires near the end of September after two years on it ( yep I did the farmwork)

i currently have a full time casual contract which expires in end of August. They have offered me a proper contract if I was to obtain a student visa ( I know about the 40 hour thing)

What I'd like to know is if you can help me is:

what are the chances of having my visa turned into a student visa by the time the next semester starts?( I know it's depends on letter if offer etc but my application with the uni will be accepted )

If chances are quite slim, then I will aim for the November semester, however, that leaves a gap of about 6 weeks, is it possible to get a student visa that will cover the 6 week gap or does it only start from the day of your course?

Ideally I'd like to finish the whv, switch to the student visa almost immediately and carry on working for 6 weeks, then start the degree.

First off, you realise the 40 hour limit of working is per fortnight don't you?

Student visas can be very quick. They might want to see you have the funds.

Once your student visa is issued it will cancel out your whv so you couldn't work until your course starts. So if you apply too early you will be costing yourself working time. If you apply later you would get a bridging visa until a decision is made on your student visa. That is probably what I'd do.

You can start your course while on the bridging visa. You shouldn't have any problems getting the student visa as long as you have funds for the course and to support yourself (they don't always ask for it, but might as you've been on a whv) and you can convince them that you do not plan on staying in oz at the end of the course.

First off, you realise the 40 hour limit of working is per fortnight don't you?

Student visas can be very quick. They might want to see you have the funds.

Once your student visa is issued it will cancel out your whv so you couldn't work until your course starts. So if you apply too early you will be costing yourself working time. If you apply later you would get a bridging visa until a decision is made on your student visa. That is probably what I'd do.

You can start your course while on the bridging visa. You shouldn't have any problems getting the student visa as long as you have funds for the course and to support yourself (they don't always ask for it, but might as you've been on a whv) and you can convince them that you do not plan on staying in oz at the end of the course.

thankyou Blossom

so what you are suggesting is that I hold out for the November enrolment then apply for the student visa just as my whv is coming to an end?

The thing is if my whv finishes in September and the course starts in November will immigration allow me to stay on the bridging visa for that amount of time or am I misunderstanding ?

No, if you want to start the course in the first intake I'd apply just a couple of weeks before the course. If it is issued quickly (mine took two weeks, but that was years ago) then you will have to stop working from that point until your course starts.

A bridging visa lasts for as long as it takes for a decision to be made on your visa application, no matter how long it takes.

No, if you want to start the course in the first intake I'd apply just a couple of weeks before the course. If it is issued quickly (mine took two weeks, but that was years ago) then you will have to stop working from that point until your course starts.

A bridging visa lasts for as long as it takes for a decision to be made on your visa application, no matter how long it takes.

Ahhhh ok thanks

well I guess the best option for me is to max out my whv then apply for my student visa. Just to clarify I cannot work until the exact day my course starts ?

just one quick thing, am I better off applying in the country or outside as if I apply at the end of September that will still mean waiting around for about a month? I just remember it being a bit more tricky from outside but perhaps I'm wrong.

Even though I would have contract there's no way for me to work that time during no? Bugger

If you apply offshore you don't get a bridging visa. And no, part of the student visa conditions are that on that visa (which will cancel your whv as soon as it's issued) you can't work until your course starts.

The only way around this is if you have a job on the sol or csol and can get your employer to sponsor you. I'm guessing if this was the case you'd already be doing that though.

Oh ok thx

is there such a thing as a sponsored student? Work sponsoring me for future investment purposes eg my qualification would fill the requirements of work sponsorship, I highly doubt it.

however I just want to make sure that if I am granted the student visa while in oz, right at the end of my whv visa I can still stay here but cannot work. As long as I can stay here that might be ok however what it looks like I should do is apply in oz, get the student visa then leave the country for a month, is that possible

excuse all the questions I'm just trying to 100% clear before I make the investment

If the student visa has been issued then yes. If your on a bridging visa you have to apply for bridging visa b before you can leave. In theory these are only granted for emergencies, but in reality they are pretty easy to get.

If the student visa has been issued then yes. If your on a bridging visa you have to apply for bridging visa b before you can leave. In theory these are only granted for emergencies, but in reality they are pretty easy to get.

Right, cool thnx Blossom

ill hv to hv a think about things and see what I can come up with, I'll update when I've got it a bit more sussed out

thankyou

• 1 month later...

hi there i am in bit trouble at this situation. need help please. here is my case , i came to australia in january 2013 and did ELICOS for 10 weeks, and after that started masters (mba) for one semester and again changed the corse in same university and studied for 2 semester and now i need to extend my student visa and they have asked me for my IELTS and financial documents. I don have my IELTs and unfortunately i am not sure weather i will get 6 score in each band. but as in the letter from immigration it says ielts or transcript with 51% course compition. can i submit my transcript. PLease advice me in this. as my consultancy asked me to get IELTS then only he will submit my documents. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HElp me . thanks in Advance.

Archived