Architectural Technician WHV to Visa 186

Becky Jones

Hello.

Please help!

I am going to Australia in September on my second working holiday visa, I am initially going to stay for 3-4 months to travel and work for a short time.

While I am there I will also be looking for a job as an architectural technician and stay out there longer and hopefully that will lead to sponsorship.

Does anyone have any advice for finding a job in that field and/or getting sponsorship whilst on a working holiday visa?

What will help me in finding a job as an architectural technician/draftsperson?

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks

It will depend on how much experience you have. But, be aware, a lot of employers won't hire WHV staff for professional roles due to having the limit of only being able to work for them for 6 months. Also, have you checked if you are eligible for sponsorship? Is your occupation on the SOL or CSOL lists?

Hi Becky,

I'm a town planner and fortunately got permanent residency with my profession and live on the gold coast. I came over here on holiday prior to me moving here and sent off my CV to lots of town planning consultancies whilst I was on holiday, and fortunately had about 3 or 4 responses/meetings, which led to me being offered a position when I moved here and have been here over 4 years now.

Where are you looking on living, as I do know of a company that we do a lot of work with who has a number of people working for him (presumably on some form of temporary visas as the names are always changing and they are usually foreign!). I think he has them on a contract basis, because he has recently downsized and sold his office and just works from home, with the other architectural technicians working from their home or elsewhere. Not quite sussed out their arrangements!

So, you might want to contact companies once you're here. Not sure that many would be offering sponsorship at the moment, as this line of work has been hit with the GFC as not many people or building/developing at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Julie

Hi, thanks for the advice, I not sure where I want to live yet, But I am leaning towards Melbourne as I have friends there. I think I'll take over some CVs and work examples and hope for the best.

I was also wondering if there was anywhere I could get hold of the building regulations for Australia for free? Over here all the regs are free on the internet, I thought if I build up my knowledge of the australia regs it would give me a better chance.

My job is on the CSOL list, I have 4.5 years experience.

thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, thanks for the advice, I not sure where I want to live yet, But I am leaning towards Melbourne as I have friends there. I think I'll take over some CVs and work examples and hope for the best.

I was also wondering if there was anywhere I could get hold of the building regulations for Australia for free? Over here all the regs are free on the internet, I thought if I build up my knowledge of the australia regs it would give me a better chance.

My job is on the CSOL list, I have 4.5 years experience.

thanks

Hi Becky,

Why don't you apply for PR under subclass 190. If you say your occupation is on the CSOL, I assume you are referring to Architectural Draftsperson (ANZSCO code 312111). Unfortunately, the occupation is only sponsored by ACT, NT and Tasmania. So I don't think you will be able to work in Melbourne for the first two years of you choose this PR route.

Good luck

Archived