UK passport renewal for ENS

carlosK

Hey folks,

So I am in the process of being sponsored by my current employer for PR. I had to send off for a new UK passport as mine expires in August. I sent this off at beginning of May and so far haven't received my new one! I have contacted the UK passport office and asked how long it will take, they said look at the processing times on our website!! Eh, well I've already been waiting longer than those times!! I have seen various news reports that there are huge backlogs with passport renewals etc and they are taking approx 6 weeks!!! Does anyone know who else I can contact about this? Very frustrating!! I am going back to the UK on holiday on 14 July and I am growing increasingly anxious about it all!!

Also does anyone know how long it takes for an employer to obtain a Nomination number after all the documents have been lodged? (mine are giving me the run around).

Any advice welcome Ta c

We have just been in an identical situation! Hubby applied for new passport just a couple of days ahead of lodging the ENS visa application figuring he'd have his new passport before we got a CO and send through the 929 form to update passport details. Long story short it was 8 weeks before UKPA even looked at his application, and requested his old passport (he'd wanted to keep hold under 'exceptional circumstances' and sent a full scan instead but they were having none of it), se we couriered the old passport -another $54 cry cry -and he got the new one DHL'd over about 2 weeks later.

UKPA has a massive backlog of applications and has drafted in help to clear it, but I'd still allow min 8 weeks! I read somewhere about free emergency 12 month extensions because of the backlog, but for some reason think that may be for child passports? Worth checking out.

I wouldn't bother ringing, it truly is hopeless, and the online system is a joke.

Thanks for your reply!! I am even more nervous now! One of my colleagues had her passport renewed in 3 weeks!! I don't get it. It's not like it's a brand new application!! Ha! I just read about the 12 month extension too, big problem there is I have no passport coz it was sent away with application!! I know I can get an Emergency Passport for my travels but there are some restrictions on who accepts them etc (I am having a holiday in Dubai before UK......hopefully!!)

So folks quick update on the above. I called UKPA the otherday was told my application was processing and I should get notification my new passport would be dispatched next week. Then yesterday I got an email telling me my photographs are too light and I have to submit new pics to them!! I'm so angry! I am supposed to be going overseas in 3 weeks time

Oh bugger! Chance nothing - get 3 sets of photos done at different machines and/or by a human passport photographer (which is what I did last time my photos were rejected cos my fringe slightly touched an eyebrow ffs), send the lot over by courier and you should be ok. Hubby's passport arrived with dhl just over a week after I couriered his old passport to Liverpool. Make sure you get the fastest service - the $54 one we used - it's very good, if a bit of a waste when it's for up to 500g!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on progress or rather lack of it!! Sent off new passport pics as requested via dhl at cost of $100 express delivery, they were signed for on the 25th june and I still don't have my passport! I plan to leave for the UK on 14 july!! Really stressed!! I've called I've emailed and still I'm getting nowhere! Its an absolute joke!! To change my outbound flight its gonna cost $1800!! I just want to cry

Hang in there, once passport office received hubby's old passport it was pretty soon after that he received a text with DHL tracking number and date of delivery. The fact photos were requested means your application's front of the queue. Do try ringing again - the time difference is a pain meaning we tend to ring first thing in the morning when it may be at its busiest but you might be in luck?

Just called UKPA and have been advised it is 'highly unlikely' I will have my new passport before I am due to travel!! I can not believe this its a complete joke!! The most annoying thing is that I can't do a dam thing about it! :arghh:

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that! I don't understand the delay. Had you paid extra for secure delivery of your passport? Cos it should have been processed and DHL'd by now, UKPA was supposed to have had extra staff drafted in. Useless!!

My hubby's passport was processed at the height of all the backlog nonsense and we thought he'd been unlucky but perhaps was really one of the luckier ones. It was about 12 days from sending his old passport by courier to receiving the new one - I took the morning off work to ensure I was here to sign for it.

I don't understand either. I'm not sure if I asked for express delivery when I applied, it was so long ago! I have offered to pay additional for express post. If they ever respond to my emails I will find out. Feel like my hands are tied. Don't know what else to do!

Archived